Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Satellite Radio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robby750
I have been thinking of getting a satellite radio system. Anybody got it? How do you like it? Any pics of the install in a 914?
BIGKAT_83
Got a Delphi XM in my truck and love the thing. I've had it for a year and use it about 75% of the time I'm in the truck.

Bob
boxstr
XM on the computer,works great. Try it.
CCLINNOCOMMERCIALRADIO
Dave Blackburn
I have two XM radios.
Would never go without from now on.
I got the new Delphi Roady for the GF's car. Nice and small and the antenna is only about as big as a book of matches. $120 @ CC with everything.
The only thing I like better about the Delphi Skyfi is the display.
Once you try XM, you will wonder how you did without.
Dave
boxstr
Try this http://www.xmradio.com then hit the "listen now" pick the tunes you wish to hear.
CCLINXMHEAVEN
boxstr
Try ebay for some savings, check the shipping $$ from seller first. "Buy it now" prices are less than the big box stores.
CCLINXMDANCE
robby750
I like the model that I can shuttle between 2 different vehicles but I would like to see one mounted in a 914. I don't want to put any holes in my dash or console. I know it comes with an adhesive mount but I'm wondering if that would cause damage to vinyl if I decided to remove it. What about the antenna? It's magnetic so the roof option is out. Would it be OK on the deck lid?
Qarl
Get an XM Satelite Radio system... tell your friends... telll your relatives.... tell your neighborhood ice cream man!

I own their stock (XMSR)... Up $2.00 per share today alone!!!!

Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!!
smrz914
Why on earth would you pay for radio??? Radio is supose to be free, your not supose to pay for it. It ain't gonna work in a tunnel anyway! Sure it probably sounds good and you can listen to it anywhere in the country but why would you spend the extra money. If I were to spend my money I would buy a deck that has a hard drive. They are still pricy but available.
ppickerell
Considering the ATROCIOUS state of commercial radio the satellite radios are incredible. We are blessed in the SF bay area with several excellent non-commercial college stations as well as KPFA (radical hippie extremist radio) and NPR. If I did not live in the bay area I would have one for sure.
robby750
Remember when everone only watched FREE TV? That is if you are old enough to remember. Do you still watch only FREE TV? laugh.gif
robby750
And, I don't spend a lot of time in tunnels.
smrz914
When at home from school I don't watch any paid TV I don't even watch the free stuff. Up in school I do pay for TV but it's also divided between 4 people and we didn't have to buy any extra stuff to watch TV. All you need is a TV and a long stick as a controler!

And, I don't spend a lot of time in tunnels

LOL
Qarl
The appeal is...

Hundreds of channels
Themed channels
Commercial-free channels
Digital clarity
Extra info (artists, song title, song length, etc.)

The ability to listen to one station (or talk show) continuously. I can listen to a local talk show that is on channel 152 of XM, even if I am out of the broadcast area.

Portability - bring your XM receiver with you (certain models) and plug it into your home stereo, 2nd car, PC, and have all your settings saved.

P.S. - no tunnels where I live either.

I also don't have a stick to change my TV, just a little square thingy with buttons on it![/QUOTE]
smrz914
Well i have nothing more to say except enjoy what you've got. It does have great features, but none i'm prepared to pay for, thats all i'm saying.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kellzey @ Dec 29 2003, 01:37 PM)
Hundreds of channels
Themed channels
Commercial-free channels
Digital clarity
Extra info (artists, song title, song length, etc.)

if i spent more time on the open road, i could see it.

i listen to one radio station, now that i've found one i like. once a week, 'A' radio gets switched to the Scary Gnome Companion (and back). when i lived in The Big City, i listened to two AM radio stations which gave me virtually continuous traffic reports. i can't imagine why i'd want to know about traffic conditions in a city i'm not ...

commercial-free would be nice, but if you want the free radio, you have to pay for it ...

"Digital Clarity" - there's a MFI /6 right behind me - it's a wonder i can hear anything still...

i suppose the program (track) information is nice, but the radio station i listen to tells me what they play. for trips, i have 300 CD's preloaded on the MP3 player...

i'm glad it's available as an option, but i don't think it's in my future any time soon...
Dave Blackburn
If you are in a major city the tunnels don't matter.
They have repeaters that broadcast like a fm radio.
I have no problem paying for radio. $10 a month is what I spend on coffee in three days, and I get much more enjoyment from XM.
I can't get any good stations here (Calgary) so the XM is great. They have a good university station, but they only play good music once in a while. All the other stations are shitty R&B (Nelly?!? finger.gif ) or N'sync bullshit mad.gif with more commercials than music.
The uncensored comedy station is great....plus the new Delphi radio will automatically tune to the station that is playing your favorite 15 songs, comedy acts etc.
Dave
Scott Carlberg
you could always strap your satellite dish to your car, they've got all kinds of diff channels
for music.

Ch 813 is for Trance btw! laugh.gif clap56.gif
LS6/914
You actually listen to the radio in the teener when you have the best live music mounted right behind you! Shame on you give it some RPM and enjoy laugh.gif
Russ K
I had Satellite Radio for a few days in a rental car and for a metropolitan area i have to give it an overall thumbs down. Driving around downtown San Francisco it cut-out so often, i couldnt keep it playing thru an entire song. I also found that many of the stations really weren't all that different programatically from something you could find for free... at least in the bay area. Granted there were a few unique ones, which did keep my interest but in the end, i was mostly listening to stations that i owned most of the music they played. If i want commercialess tunes that i owed, why not go with soemthing like randomplay on VW's iPod hookup.

The experience would have been totally different if i were cruising rural areas on a long road trip. I could see there that satellite might have its advantages.. (if youre a person thats not into listening to Nationallly-broadcast conservative talk radio, Christian Rock, or Mexican Polka ...which happen to be the only 3 things i can find on my radio when im cruising the interstates)
...but once again, if you have the iPod, no problem.

anyways.. thats my 2 cents.
Rog914
About 20 years ago I remember hearing there was a new commercial free music station on satellite. I think they called it................MTV? Wasn't it 2 or 3 years later and they dropped the "commercial free" part. I think I'll wait awhile and see what happens.

I can see the advantage of having it in rural areas & traveling.

It just pisses me off having to pay monthly for radio. I'll wait till the hackers figure out how to get it free & only pay once.

Ralph

74 2.0
Kevin@ojai.net
I played around with one of the XM radios in a friend's car. I wouldn't pay for it...

-Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.