Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
Has anyone thought about customizing a targa top using plexiglass? Plexiglass can be molded to any shape. This would be a great replacement for the NLA saratoga top.
RoninEclipse2G
sounds like fun, have at it.

my hands are full with bumper rubbers
SECHSER
i saw one for sale on the samba not too long ago, but i can't find the ad now so they might have sold it. not sure if someone already makes that but i think it's a great idea.
jim_hoyland
Will,

Year ago I talked to a Plastics place that specializes in Marine winshield about making up a plexiglass top. Very doable, the tricky part is getting the fittings together. The place is in Costa Mesa on 18th street just west of Placentia.

It is a good idea, you can mold in flat side edges to mount the standard track for ruber seals; the quality of Plastics is much better than in 1973, etc

You may want to touch base with them

Jim
will
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 24 2007, 01:07 PM) *

Will,

Year ago I talked to a Plastics place that specializes in Marine winshield about making up a plexiglass top. Very doable, the tricky part is getting the fittings together. The place is in Costa Mesa on 18th street just west of Placentia.

It is a good idea, you can mold in flat side edges to mount the standard track for ruber seals; the quality of Plastics is much better than in 1973, etc

You may want to touch base with them

Jim

Thanks Jim,
I have a couple of plexiglass company in my area that I will contact. I hope it is not too terribly expensive.

Will
Two914s

I have a Saratoga top listed on ebay right now ( April 2008 ).

Item # 200219075560
biosurfer1
what about cutting away most of an existing top and replacing it with plexi? that way you could use the existing mounting, seal channels, etc.
70Sixter
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 30 2008, 12:40 AM) *

what about cutting away most of an existing top and replacing it with plexi? that way you could use the existing mounting, seal channels, etc.
I saw it done back in the days of aftermarket sunroof kits. Somebody put a large sunroof into the 914 top. Ugly.

Your thought is much better use of a screwed up top.
brer
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 29 2008, 09:40 PM) *

I worked on this idea for awhile but never finished the lid.
someday maybe it will get pulled out again.
biosurfer1
eh, I was just throwing out ideas...I hate having the sun on my head unless the top is completely off
JC 914
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 30 2008, 12:40 AM) *

Something like this???
Rand
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 30 2008, 02:54 PM) *

I hate having the sun on my head unless the top is completely off

Unless there's rain falling. I know, that's a dichotomy, but I live in the PNW. So I like having a clear top. And cutting the center out of an old top & riveting plexi over it makes for a nice extra alternative top to have on hand. Depends on where you live I guess, but I'll take all the natural light I can get.
beerchug.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 30 2008, 04:14 PM) *

I'll take all the natural light I can get.
beerchug.gif

You might consider moving...........laugh.gif
Rand
Yeah, Gregor will be here all night... And be sure to try our burrito special.
(As I'm planning my "geographical independence." Seattle summers are perfect, but beware, I may be in your neck of the woods next winter.)
brer
I was just going to cut hole, router out a large area to create overlap, then take to my local surfboard shop and have them reglass the hole with tinted fiberglass.

greenish color I was thinking. Maybe use the graphite colored cloth to cut the sun but still allow light to come in.

Anyway, thats what I was thinking.

beer.gif
Rand
My approach was, hole saw the four corners to make a nice radius in said corners, sabersaw the straight lines, pick up the plexi from Tap Plastics, drill the holes for pop rivets, put a dab of silicone goop in the hole, and pop-rivet to fasten. Do your craftsmanship well and you won't be embarrassed of it.
beerchug.gif

If you live in the PNW you'll be happy with the sunlight. If you have a thick hide, the teasing of the brothren south of the Cal border won't phase you.
wink.gif
brer
plexi sure might expand and contract differently which is why i was leaning towards reglassing it.
Rand
YMMV. Love new ideas. Post the results. beerchug.gif
brer
someday I just might.

biggrin.gif
dflesburg
We are currently planning on doing a prototype for a 914 top with a very large section replaced with dark gray lexan. When we get the first one done, if it looks good, we will be making more. We will keep you posted.
auerbach
I'll put dibbs on the first proto type so long as I'm not obligated to donate my top for the first product run.
Elliot Cannon
It's been my experience that you can leave the top off when it rains as long as you don't slow below 38.5 miles per hour. So who needs plexiglass. Just leave the damn thing off. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Begginers. rolleyes.gif I think you guys need sunroofs in your 914s.
dflesburg
Thats almost the size of the one we are doing... only about 3" wider on each side and it wont need to open will be glued in...
r_towle
dflesburg....back up the boat a bit.

That pic above is using the 924/944 sunroof.
There are loads of them in jumk yards now...all the hardware is there.
If you reskinned the 924/944 lid...that might be a decent seller...

I kinda like that approach...
You could use metal for the roof, add some structure to the car and still have a pretty big ass hole when you remove it.....

Rich
Root_Werks
Yeah look closer at the picture, that roof is all steel and welded to the car. I think there is a thread on it even. idea.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 24 2008, 02:11 PM) *

Yeah look closer at the picture, that roof is all steel and welded to the car. I think there is a thread on it even. idea.gif

Hey Dan,

I was just talking about your 944 roof at the last Bay Area lunch. I am thinking about doing this on my 73 project but couldn't find the thread where you posted progress pics. Was it part of someone elses thread?

For others: I was extremely surprised how much I liked this modification. I had seen pictures of it when Dan completed it, but when I saw it in person at WCR08, WOW! When the sunroof panel is removed the opening is huge. Dan's work on the car makes it look like a factory option.

Now to go price a 944 roof idea.gif

Hijack over. I think a plexi panel in a stock roof could be done nicely too. I have a roof with the sunroof installed like in one of the pics and I dont see the point since it is so small. Open up the size of the panel and I could see why some would like it.

Jim
Root_Werks
This is the link:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=76305&st=0

It's no easy task. Been thinking about doing it again. We'll see. It sure changes the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.