Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my first drive! and...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
so... im typing this to avoid doing my Business Law homework due tomorrow at 8am lol... sigh.. procrastination is great!

anyways.. i havent posted much in the past week or two due to a pretty big emotional event... broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years... pretty hard to deal with... but ive got some amazing friends and support and theyre helping me "move on" so-to-speak... it wasnt a bad breakup.. we both really care about each other, but im 22 and shes 19 and is going through that "rebelly" phase i think.. so its probably best to just let her spread her wings and fly

with that being said, ive had a chance to get back to my true passion... GUITAR! i used to be in a band a couple of years ago and had some of the most memorable moments of my life then.. band practices, playing shows, meet and greets... great stuff... ive attempted to start up a new band with some old members.

so after jamming today, in an effort to avoid the feeling of complete loneliness (my mind likes to wander), i decided to take off the ol' top of the car and pick up where i left off before i was single... i decided i would put it in the garage for tonight while the other car is at the dealership.. after going to start it and having to fiddle with the usual checkpoints to get it to turn over... my dad and i had to push start it (he says the solenoid sticks)... anyways... he got out, i got in.. and then it happened!!!!

the FIRST time ive gotten to drive the car since purchasing nearly 3 months ago (i think.. remember the story about the delivery guy and the cops..)

i killed it a couple times in teh street, but ill tell you i had a grin the ENTIRE time! the brakes were scary lol.. i approach the culdesac and it doesnt stop.. but finally it did (guess they need to be bled real well)... my clutch hates me.

i do a few illegal runs around the block and finally bring it to rest in the garage where upon my departure from the vehicle, im met with a weird smell and visible smoke (not a lot, but visible)... im not sure what it was... that was the first time teh car had actually been driven so maybe stuff burning off?? and the first time with the new muffler on so im not sure what was causing the smoke

i cannot WAIT to get the floorpans all buttoned up and moving to the engine! it seems like it runs rough and needs some work.. but it runs! man i was so happy to have finally gotten to drive it!

ok.. i guess ive put off this stupid brief long enough... time to go study Cape-France Enterprises v. Estate of Peed....

thanks for tuning in

EDIT (and another effort to not do homework wink.gif): i forgot to talk about the "steering wheel question"... its just REALLLY hard to turn... i know the steering wheel itself is smaller (a Formuling) and that can make it harder, and theres no power steering... but it is HARD to turn... ive noticed that i cant turn on the high beams because it appears the "hub" wont allow the lever to be pulled forward at all.. its like the hub is too far on or somethin.. should i take the steering wheel off or what could be causing this? i can take pics of what im talking about if necessary! ok.. back to work doh!
SGB
what are your musical influences?

funny smellin' smoke? With your Dad ther? Better behave.

really, funny like electrical? Could definitely be the paint on the new muf too.

Ya gotta find a better wheel i think. Bound to be some out there...
Could also be alignment related.
PeeGreen 914
Pulled forward? To turn on the highs you need to pull toward you.

Sorry to hear about all the crap you're going through. Have fun with your 914, and bleed those brakes well.
stateofidleness
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Oct 25 2007, 01:59 AM) *

Pulled forward? To turn on the highs you need to pull toward you.

Sorry to hear about all the crap you're going through. Have fun with your 914, and bleed those brakes well.

yea it wont let it be pulled towards me. its like the hub is so tight against it it wont move at all, blinker functions work, but i just cant pull it towards the driver...
PeeGreen 914
Oh... okay, I would say that needs to be looked into. See if you take the hub off if it will go toward you.
purple
you'll run out of arms long before you'll run out of car. The steering is supposed to be heavy, you're doing all the work. Mine's heavy as hell compared to my mini cooper which is considered as having 'heavy, tactile' steering. Just something you have to work around. my suggestion is truning while moving
stateofidleness
ok so i took the wheel off today and it came off with ease!
once off, the high beam worked like a charm.. you can see on the arm where the hub was digging into it...

is it just a matter of grinding that hub down a little??

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Twystd1
Either shim the wheel away from the column. Or grind the adapter down a hair till it doesn't hit anymore.

Or figure sumpin out... it ain't supposed to rub.

Clayton
hydroliftin
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Oct 25 2007, 06:17 PM) *

That's a tiny steering wheel. That's why it is so hard to steer. A bigger wheel or a deeper dish would probably make it so it does not interfere with the high beams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.