Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Engine Break In Procedures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Hey Gang,

I wanted to break in my new engine at JWE. They quoted $800 for the engine dyno procedure, plus whatever needed to tune it. A little pricey for my modest means....

Any other way to break in a race engine on a rear wheel dyno or by driving around the neighborhood without getting a ticket? laugh.gif

Bill P.
L8Apex
I would drive around the neighborhood. maybe up and down the street only. =). Hmm... duct tape and license plates are good use also. hehe
Brad Roberts
Use a open track day .. and go out into a slow group. 800$ is what they charge eveyone. It is a lot of work hooking up a 911 engine to the dyno.

Driving it around the block isnt going to cut it.

How new is this engine ??

b
nine14cats
My engine is the 2.7L 6 I ran last year. New bearings, rings, and such. Cam, pistons, crank, were all good. I had the heads and cylinders resurfaced....

The next open track day with a reasonable price is Trackmasters at Infineon on February 6th. The PCA-TT series starts a week later. Do I just start out at 5K rpm limit for the first session, then go to 6K for the second? and so on?

Or is it really best to hook it to the JWE dyno (I'd have to pull the friggin engine that just went back in..... wink.gif ) and just give it to them. I want the best longevity I can get.

Or do I pay the speed merchant or the mustang shops to break it in on their rear wheel dynos?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Rear wheel dyno wont help. They are acceleration tests only.. they cant load them (unless something changed and they bought a real dyno).

The Dynojets are nothing more than: "how fast you can you accelerate this given weight" Pretty simple.

Since it didnt get new cams.. run it around the track during the warmups and dont take it over 5k for the first session. Then keep it at 6 for the next session... then let it rip. I didnt fully understand what you had done to the engine.

B
nine14cats
I broke a piston ring on number 4 at the end of last year. I was smoking pretty good. I had the engine disassembled and found only the rings broken and everything else looked good. So I had the the machine shop clean up the surface in the cyclinder walls and heads on all cylinders and had all of the bearings and rings renewed, along with every gasket/o-ring. The parts were cheap once the engine was apart.

I'll use the open track days or the practice day before the TT to break the engine in. Since my wife and I will both be driving the car, the engine will see 8 sessions on the first day alone. I'll start the rev limiter low and gradually bump it up.

We will get 4 more sessions on the 2nd day before the actual timed runs. Can I go to redling (~7000 RPM) after we have broken in the engine over 12 sessions?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Wont be a problem. I would bring everything you need to do an oil change to the track.

Change the oil Saturday night.

I should be at the event. I live close enough to attend..

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. dont run it on synthetic if you are going to change the oil Satuday night. Dump in your favorite cheap oil.. then switch it over. This has worked well for us in the past.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.