Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor wobble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Attempted to get the engine running today and I noticed the distributor wobbles as the engine cranks over. I had a spare dizzy so I swapped it in and the same wobble occurs. I am getting spark though.... I'm almost afraid to know - What's up?
Twystd1
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 24 2007, 10:54 PM) *

Attempted to get the engine running today and I noticed the distributor wobbles as the engine cranks over. I had a spare dizzy so I swapped it in and the same wobble occurs. I am getting spark though.... I'm almost afraid to know - What's up?

Be more specific on this wobble thang...
EXACTLY where do you see it wobbling?
How much?
Has it always been this way or you don't know...

Clayton
Hammy
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 24 2007, 11:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 24 2007, 10:54 PM) *

Be more specific on this wobble thang...
EXACTLY where do you see it wobbling?
How much?
Has it always been this way or you don't know...

Clayton

I THINK it's more upwards on the cap... I don't remember if it was the whole dizzy wobbling. That doesn't seem possible to me...? It's pretty noticeable.... Very "egg"-like wobble. The cap is clipped on tight. Doubled checked the dizzy hold down nut was tight too. Engine is new to me so I don't know....
type11969
Wrong height rotor? Rotor not pushed all the way down?
TC.356
Does the whole distributor assembly/housing wobble, or just the shaft/rotor?

If the housing and all is wobbling about, make sure that it's engaging the slot in the distributor drive first. That's it's all the way into the hole, bottoming out, and seated tightly against the case. If all of the above is OK, make sure that the clamp is tight against the housing and not just tight against itself, sometimes you need to remove a little metal from the area where the bolt goes through in order to get the clamp tight against the housing. Is the other end of the clamp, where it locks down to the case tightening down as well or is the nut bottoming out before contacting the clamp bracket? You might need a washer under or on top of the clamp to lock it in tight. Of course a lock-washer is the right choice.

If it's the SHAFT and rotor that's doing the wobbling. when the distributor housing is tight in the hole, then you need a new distributor. The upper brass collar/bearing wears out when it runs dry and a LOT of distributors develop run-out in this area.

Luck ! !

TC
Hammy
I'm an idiot.... rolleyes.gif Chris had it right. The rotor wasn't seated on the notch correctly and was sticking up too high... I guess this is what happens when you're working in a hurry. My dumb mistake.

Finally got it to fire up. Now I have a leaking injector problem sad.gif

jkb081
Hello, returning member. I had A 76 914about 7 years ago. absolutely loved it. I recently purchased a 73 Teener.(17-Oct-21) This new car has the same issue. it starts up easily and sounds strong. However I noticed that the distributer has a deffinet wobble when running. I read the other posts, and will check it out. I assume the car needs a new distributer. I hope thats all it is. Not something wrong with the block. I already have a pretty long grocery list of items that need attention. Thankful this site is available to assist with everything 914 related! Thanks to all. Also considering converting to electronic ignition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.