Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what would make my bursch fail
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
ok, for the 2nd time in 3 months, a new bursch exaust has exploded on me, in the same spot.

anyone have an idea of what could be happening?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

thanks

paul
Joe Ricard
Vibration? as in muffler banging on something?
or the muffler can (which has nothing to do with being a Bursch) is not of high quality.
lotus_65
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 25 2007, 07:35 AM) *

Vibration? as in muffler banging on something?
or the muffler can (which has nothing to do with being a Bursch) is not of high quality.

no vibrations. i was very careful to check clearances, especially the 2nd time. could be the quality sucks. i just haven't seen any complaints anywhere, so i assumed they where decent.
JohnM
If it is a 1.7 Bursch BTDT. Manufacturer pushes in/dents the can for collector clearance right in the spot where your failure is. Mine lasted less than 10K miles (a little less than 1 year for me).

The problem stems from the fact that the 1.7 H/E pipes bend upwards before the muffler flanges and mount the muffler up higher compared to the 2.0 straight through H/E pipes. So on the 1.7 the manufacturer has to make the muffler/collector more compacted to fit in the space available, hence the bending of the can skin to clear the collectors.

If you only drive your 914 1-2k per year you probably won't see a problem for many years. 2nd time in 3 months points to a poor quality can or at least on with a material that will fail even sooner due to being mis-shaped in that area.

I changed over to 2.0 style straight through H/E's and went with a different muffler, too. I am not sure if the 2.0 Bursch can is purposely bent for collector clearance but I think it probably would not have to be. Others can confirm. John
TeenerTim
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 25 2007, 08:16 AM) *

ok, for the 2nd time in 3 months, a new bursch exaust has exploded on me, in the same spot.

anyone have an idea of what could be happening?

thanks

paul

I would think if it was just the dent it would burn through instead of exploding. You may be running rich and raw fuel ignited in the muffler. That would cause an explosion!
lotus_65
yea, john. it's on a 1.8, and i noticed that crease right away. i drive my car a lot, so it's probably just as you say, poor engineering.

i was talking with friends about cutting and welding a better piece into that whole panel. the consensus was that was a bad idea though.

i don't want to spend another $40. to send this one back... i'd rather spend $200. on a plane ticket and chuck the whole thing through the front window of :

Bursch Exhaust
47 Fulton Ave
Pasadena, CA 91107-3810
(626) 440-0440

paul
Allan
Have you spoken to Bursch?
lotus_65
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 25 2007, 09:15 AM) *

Have you spoken to Bursch?

not yet, i just found that number. i was gonna call them later and see what they say.
Joe Ricard
Look out Ya'll he's a man on the edge.

Sure hope the person on the other end of the phone is nice and helpful. We can take up a collection for your bail if you decide the Bursch Rep needed a killin.
jd74914
If they don't throw you a bone what's the problem with welding the hole up?
Chuck
lotus65,

If you need my . . . ahem . . . "professional services" either before or after "chucking" said muffler at Bursch, you know where to reach me. biggrin.gif

Chuck
KevinP
Replace it with a muffler of better quality and forget about it if Bursch won't stand behind it. Then we inform all who read this forum and trash them if they don't do the right thing!

No really, give them the benifit of the doubt... they may not even know they have a quality control issue. But, please bring it to there attention and let them attempt to rectifity the issue.

My.02

KP
lotus_65
no character assassination here. i spoke with yvonne, she was great. then i spoke with mike, he was great.

mike said hat lately they have been hammering the mufflers "harder" than before (i guess he worked there, left, and now is back). he thinks this could be the trouble.

i'm going to snap a couple pics of the installed exhaust so they can consider rotating the muffler for better fitment and/or less hammering.

yvonne's sending ups to pick up the broken one so i don't have to spend another $41 (boo performance products inc.) to get it back to cali.

done and done.

peaceout

QUOTE(KevinP @ Oct 25 2007, 04:44 PM) *

Replace it with a muffler of better quality and forget about it if Bursch won't stand behind it. Then we inform all who read this forum and trash them if they don't do the right thing!

No really, give them the benifit of the doubt... they may not even know they have a quality control issue. But, please bring it to there attention and let them attempt to rectifity the issue.

My.02

KP

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.