Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Spark Plugs for Carburated 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adidas
A 914 that has been converted to a new single carb is carbon fouling a practically new set of Bosch Platimum spark plugs in just a few weeks. A low pressure facet style fuel pump is installed. The fuel/mixture screw is leaned out with no luck. What have you found is the best brand and heat range spark plugs for a carburated 914. Thanks
VaccaRabite
Quick, get rid of the single carb before the sharks start to swarm. :-)

Single carbs don't work well with 914s, the gas has too far to go to get from the carb to the engine. Find some dual dellortos or dual webers. The carb may well be causing your plugs to foul, as the gas will kind of pool in the manifold, instead of going in properly atomized.

At least, that is my understanding of the issue.

Zach
Allan
Do you have a pressure gauge to see how much fuel pressure the pump is actually putting out. That carb probably only likes 3 - 4 lbs. I second the swap to dual carbs, but if you're stuck with what you have then NGK B6S plugs should work.

Check the pressure from the pump, if it's too much, get a regulator.
Winfield
QUOTE(adidas @ Oct 25 2007, 02:57 PM) *

A 914 that has been converted to a new single carb is carbon fouling a practically new set of Bosch Platimum spark plugs in just a few weeks. A low pressure facet style fuel pump is installed. The fuel/mixture screw is leaned out with no luck. What have you found is the best brand and heat range spark plugs for a carburated 914. Thanks

I have dual 44m webers on my 2.0 and have been using Bosch wr7dc for track events for years w/o problems. For what that is worth idea.gif
IronHillRestorations
You DO NOT want those fine wire platinum plugs on a carburated engine! Plain 'ol Bosch supers will do much better. The fine wire platinums foul very easily, they are for modern injected engines.
Aaron Cox
NGKs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.