Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: performance engine parts vendors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slackin' at work
Im fairly well versed in the type1 world but am finding it much harder to find type4 vendors for performance parts.

Yes, I know about jake but his prices are silly.

anywhere else I can browse an online performance catalog?

alpha434
http://www.tarett.com/
http://www.9xauto.com/914.html
http://www.pauter.com/
http://www.pmbperformance.com

That should get you started. But if you want the HP, Jake does it right. Well. Besides the nutty prices. 914s arent cheap anymore. And since front suspension parts are 911, you can expect to pay in spades for the really nice stuff.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Oct 25 2007, 01:50 PM) *

Im fairly well versed in the type1 world but am finding it much harder to find type4 vendors for performance parts.

"Silly"? You get what you pay for ................... I just spoke with a VERY busy and well respected builder of STOCK 914 engines. $10K each for the last couple of 2 litre engines out his door, and he's busy all the time. The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
www.patrickmotorsports.com

HAM Inc
Fast, cheap, reliable. Choose any two.
slackin' at work
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 25 2007, 05:31 PM) *

"Silly"? You get what you pay for ................... I just spoke with a VERY busy and well respected builder of STOCK 914 engines. $10K each for the last couple of 2 litre engines out his door, and he's busy all the time. The Cap'n

I know you get what you pay for, but for his prices I better get a kiss in the morning. biggrin.gif

I know jake is (arguably) the best type4 guy around and I can appreciate what he has done for the vw world... but behind the hype I can see the mark-up. why not? it makes total sense. he is a good businessman.

I don't want to cause a problem being new here... but am just looking for some other "respected" vendors for some good parts. I don't need nickies or anything like that... just some good old-fashioned aircooled VW parts.

Type 1 vendors are a little easier for me to relate to because Ive been doing those for 18 years. And I know that usually the easier ones to find are the worst... kind of like a nice restuarant you only hear about through the grape-vine. Just wanted to know who else all you guys are going with.

beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif

toon1
most everybody here goes through Jake for one reason HE'S GOOD and so are his part's!!

I found his prices to be reasonable and he is acessable if you have Q's.

Just my humlbe. 02
Cap'n Krusty
OK. The wholesale vendors with which I deal, and most of the other well known retail vendors, can no longer get decent quality 90mm and 93mm piston/cylinder sets ....... They're gone. Jake has AA 93mm sets, I think, but I don't know how good they are. Other AA vendors don't answer my e-mails, so I can't tell you what they have. Main and rod bearings are gone, for the most part. Cam bearings are spotty. I've waited 3 months for a set of standard rod bearings for a 2 litre, and it took a month to find a first under set, along with std. and 1st under mains. I've taken apart 5 engines to get 2 good cases, ones that don't need align boring and that aren't spread in the center web or have a beat out thrust (again, bearings are in short supply). BTW, in all the time I've building 914s, I think I've seen ONE other case that couldn't be reused without an align bore. Most stock valves are NLA, except for 2 the litre engines. New rod nuts are occasionally in short supply, although they seem to appear just after you need 'em! MPSs are essentially NLA, as are throttle switches. Webers are real pricey, and Dellortos are NLA.

I took these 2 engines in without first checking parts availability, and they've been here way too long, and the prices have escalated immensely, what with needing cases and such. Looks like my 35 year run of building 914 motors is about to end.
toon1
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 25 2007, 04:35 PM) *

OK. The wholesale vendors with which I deal, and most of the other well known retail vendors, can no longer get decent quality 90mm and 93mm piston/cylinder sets ....... They're gone. Jake has AA 93mm sets, I think, but I don't know how good they are. Other AA vendors don't answer my e-mails, so I can't tell you what they have. Main and rod bearings are gone, for the most part. Cam bearings are spotty. I've waited 3 months for a set of standard rod bearings for a 2 litre, and it took a month to find a first under set, along with std. and 1st under mains. I've taken apart 5 engines to get 2 good cases, ones that don't need align boring and that aren't spread in the center web or have a beat out thrust (again, bearings are in short supply). BTW, in all the time I've building 914s, I think I've seen ONE other case that couldn't be reused without an align bore. Most stock valves are NLA, except for 2 the litre engines. New rod nuts are occasionally in short supply, although they seem to appear just after you need 'em! MPSs are essentially NLA, as are throttle switches. Webers are real pricey, and Dellortos are NLA.

I took these 2 engines in without first checking parts availability, and they've been here way too long, and the prices have escalated immensely, what with needing cases and such. Looks like my 35 year run of building 914 motors is about to end.

AMEN! stuff is getting harder and harder to find at decent prices. Makes a Subie convert look real appealing
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Oct 25 2007, 01:40 PM) *

Fast, cheap, reliable. Choose any two.

Choose AT MOST two... Anyone remember MSHP? Or stromberg.gif?

--DD
rtalich

Sounds like maybe you should stay in the Type I world... Jake is second to none when it comes to parts AND service. And service is worth more than anything you can find cheaper elsewhere!!

beer.gif popcorn[1].gif
Cap'n Krusty
Might I add that the T1 VW guys I trust get $5K and up for a 1750 making 115 verifiable HP with a stock exhaust and heater boxes? Not magazine HP, DYNO HP. Makes Jake look reasonable, don't it? (These are guys that give the Gary Berg crew fits, and their street engines stay together.)

The Cap'n
E-Man
Try these links:

http://tunacan.net/t4/links.htm

http://www.ebsracing.com/content.wws?fname...ance-Parts.html

www.pelicanparts.com

There are many others. Happy hunting. -Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.