Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the good or bad skinny on DEVES rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
any input on deves rings or experiances out there? are they cast iron?

poke.gif

mike
Twystd1
Yes they are cast iron.
But not the same cast iron as what you would expect from a US manufacturer.
They have their own special cast iron alloy they make rings from..
And have been making that style of rings since before I was born I think.

Deves rings can be used on alusil, nikasil, cast iron, etc. It works for many applications. I have been involved with a few builds over the years that used Deves for all kind of weird applications.

I have em in my stroker engine.
NOTE: The Oil ring set always seems tighter than most oil rings. Thats just the nature of Deves rings. They loose a bit of tension once the engine is ran a while. Thats normal for Deves.

They work great.

Are there better rings..????

Maybe.

Just depends on the application. They ARE NOT the best for some applications as well. (Some turbo, blower, extreme conditions or some plateau finishes)
I THINK they are great for most applications.
That is also the experience of several engine builders that I know.

They ain't junk.

Clayton
brp986s
I'll agree with the oil ring being way tight. I installed a set once and thought I did something wrong. I brought them down to Werks II and Galen referred to them as "hone masters". If you had your cyl's honed and they are in spec, there is no reason to use such a severe ring as long as you can get OE german rings (ebsracing.com). just my opinion.
davep
Search is your friend, this is what Jake says:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ghlite=%2Bdeves
Twystd1
I haven't read Jakes post. And I don't need to.

I spoke with 2 Pro engine builders today. They have had the opposite results I have had.

They HATE THESE RINGS. They won't use them. They have had ring sealing/seating problems and oil problems.

I will defer to them. They know WAY more than me.

Now off to read Jakes post.

And I have NO doubt that the data I gave you was erroneous. just because I have had good results.... Apparently.. I was lucky.

And so were the guys at Osborne Racing.

So don't use them is the general consensus in my world. I was wrong.

Clayton
cnavarro
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 28 2007, 12:21 AM) *

They HATE THESE RINGS. They won't use them. They have had ring sealing/seating problems and oil problems.

I have had three customers (who did not use JE's from me) with Nickies try using Deves rings, with the same results as above. Poor leakdown and lots of blowby.

The ring gaps on a new set of Deves for a set I checked for a 911 were larger than the wear limits on a used set of rings. Two more sets later, I decided to throw them away since they couldn't understand what the meaning of 'file-to-fit' was!
rhodyguy
did that link work for anyone else? not me...

k
orange914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 28 2007, 09:39 AM) *

did that link work for anyone else? not me...

k

didnt work for me either confused24.gif
i'm getting the feel these are problematic rings
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.