Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire size for stock steelies? Staggered?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
Can anyone recommend a tire size for the stock 15" steel wheels? I would like to go as wide as possible, but not too tall. Car will be lowered. Additionally, is there any benefit to staggering the tires (smaller tires in front)? Sizes front vs. rear?

driving.gif
DanT
there is more room up front for tires and wheels than in the rear. The rear is where you will have fitment issues.
with stock steelies (5.5x15?) you can run 205s or 195s or 185s depending on what you want.

205 50 15s on 5.5 Fuchs

and 205 50 15s (V710s are very wide for their size) on 7" steelies
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 26 2007, 12:56 AM) *

there is more room up front for tires and wheels than in the rear. The rear is where you will have fitment issues.
with stock steelies (5.5x15?) you can run 205s or 195s or 185s depending on what you want.

The car is being set up as a street cruiser...no track time. When I switch to 5-bolts, I'll be installing Fuchs, but for right now, I'm going with stock wheels. Looking for something low/wide.

Those pics on the car are 205/50-15 all around?
DanT
yes, 205s front and rear....
1/2" spacers in the rear and 3/4" spacers on the front....

and yes the 7" steelies with 205s fit under the fenders...I could go to 225s if I wanted to because there is enough room. biggrin.gif
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 26 2007, 01:06 AM) *

1/2" spacers in the rear and 3/4" spacers on the front....

Why are the spacers needed? Do they pass tech?
DanT
pass tech in what way? confused24.gif

I use longer wheel studs and steel lug nuts, not lug bolts.

Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 26 2007, 01:23 AM) *

pass tech in what way? confused24.gif

I use longer wheel studs and steel lug nuts, not lug bolts.

I thought wheel spacers were not allowed on track cars...?

But, doesn't matter as my car will be street only. So...why are spacers needed if we're dealing with stock wheels?

Here are the adapters on my 911 (almost 2.5"). I'm about to purchase a set of custom offset wheels so I can do away with them.

IPB Image
DanT
spacers are used by many racers....many newer Porsches come from the factory with spacers
the spacers that are not allowed are ones that change (alter) the bolt pattern.
like a spacer that goes from 4 bolt to 5 bolt.

I use spacers first of all for the rear inside wheel wells. I run so much negative camber that my tires rub the inside of the wheel well without them.
In front I use them to push the wheels out to the same width as the rear.
track width on the front of the 914 is about 1/2" narrower than the rear in stock form.
Danny_Ocean
OK. Got it. I'll mount the wheels without spacers to see how they look first.

Thanks.

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 26 2007, 01:38 AM) *

spacers are used by many racers....many newer Porsches come from the factory with spacers
the spacers that are not allowed are ones that change (alter) the bolt pattern.
like a spacer that goes from 4 bolt to 5 bolt.

I use spacers first of all for the rear inside wheel wells. I run so much negative camber that my tires rub the inside of the wheel well without them.
In front I use them to push the wheels out to the same width as the rear.
track width on the front of the 914 is about 1/2" narrower than the rear in stock form.

Dave_Darling
Most people can't fit 225s under their stock rear fenders. Some 914s can't even fit 205s, though that's something of a rarity. Check both sides, as they usually aren't the same from side to side.

205/60-15 is a good size for a cruiser. So is 195/65-15.

--DD
woobn8r
Check your tire manufacturers spec on acceptable rim widths. In a 15" rim, a 205 width tire is probably okay between 5.5" and 7.5" rim (with an optimum rim width of 6" or 6.5").

Although it may fit statically, I don't believe a 225 width tire is approved on a 5.5" rim. Not only unsafe, but less performance than a correct tire/rim size selection.
rhodyguy
do you ever plan on rotating your tires? think hard on chosing directional tires tires too. it'll be kinda wierd when you have wider tires on the front than on the rear. 195/60-15s are a nice fit on stock 5.5" rims.

k
DanT
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Oct 26 2007, 06:17 AM) *

Check your tire manufacturers spec on acceptable rim widths. In a 15" rim, a 205 width tire is probably okay between 5.5" and 7.5" rim (with an optimum rim width of 6" or 6.5").

Although it may fit statically, I don't believe a 225 width tire is approved on a 5.5" rim. Not only unsafe, but less performance than a correct tire/rim size selection.

I am talking about the 225s on the 7s, definitely not on the 5,5s
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 26 2007, 10:33 AM) *

do you ever plan on rotating your tires? think hard on chosing directional tires tires too. it'll be kinda wierd when you have wider tires on the front than on the rear. 195/60-15s are a nice fit on stock 5.5" rims.

Most of my cars have staggered set-ups w/directional tires ('74 Pantera, '79 911SC, '74 Stingray Roadster). Not concerned about rotating tires on a car that I'll only drive 500mi. per year (or less).

IPB Image

So...sounds like a toss-up between the 205-50-15's & 205-60-15's...perhaps I'll stagger those?
Dave_Darling
Your other cars do not have the inherent balance of the 914 chassis. They also have a whole lot of power, unlike your 914. Just get the same size tires all around.

The shorter sidewalls will give you slightly lower gearing, slightly harder ride, slightly better grip, and higher RPMs on the freeway. I'd go for the 60-series for a "driver".

--DD
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 27 2007, 01:53 AM) *

Your other cars do not have the inherent balance of the 914 chassis. They also have a whole lot of power, unlike your 914. Just get the same size tires all around.

The shorter sidewalls will give you slightly lower gearing, slightly harder ride, slightly better grip, and higher RPMs on the freeway. I'd go for the 60-series for a "driver".

--DD

OK, thanks. (The car is a 914-6 if that matters any...).
DanT
agree.gif

all your other cars have high HP and either loaded up front or in the rear.

914s respond very well to same size tires front and rear.
if you stagger the tires, you will introduce more push in the front end and will need to make suspension changes/adjustments to rebalance the car.

been there, done that

with my 914-6 with 2.7L RS motor...
205s up front and 225s in the rear, needed more rear spring or softer front end to get it to turn in as well as when I was on 205s all the way around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.