Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stock93
I need to buy a battery and I'm thinking about an optima. Do these need to not be in the passenger compartment? I'm thinking of mounting it between the seats on the top of the tunnel at the back.

John
Eric_Shea
Think about it... blink.gif
stock93
Maybe theres something I'm not thinking about. I have seen these mounted in passenger floorboards. This would obviously be mounted securely in a battery box.

John
SirAndy
what's wrong with the original location? confused24.gif

Andy
Eric_Shea
Sorry... I honestly didn't mean to be a smart ass I just though if you pondered what might happen when a 50lb battery is flailing around inside the passengers compartment in the unfortunate event of a roll over you might reconsider.

I'm sure there's some durable mounting proceedure but for me...? I'd throw it in the front trunk.
ChrisReale
or....thestocklocation......
Eric_Shea
agree.gif Should have clarified; Mine's staying in the stock location... if I were to move it (which I won't ) I'd consider the front trunk...
stock93
I may still mount it in the stock location I'm just looking around to see where else I could put it. The PO completely cut out the stock mount and mounted it in the rear trunk. I was just thinking of where I could get the weight low for better handling.

Eric,
I wish you had just stated what you were thinking originally. I was thinking about fumes from being charged. I didnt know if this was an issue with optima batteries. It would be mounted very very very very very very very securely. I was going to tie a mount and box into the rollcage. I am fairly confident in making it where the battery can't go anywhere at all. I fabed the setup in my railbuggy which has seen enough hard landings to break the transmission bellhousing in half as well as breaking the frame in several places and an impact hard enough to break the front beam in half. The battery hasnt moved.

John
SirAndy
this sounds like a race/autoX car.

in that case, the pass. floor is a good place. keeps the weight low and helps offset for your own weight. wink.gif

Andy
rhodyguy
if that battery hs been in the trunk for awhile, take every thing(yes the battery too) and sprinkle baking soda all over. this will help neutrilize the acid. trays are pretty cheap. the battery would make for a nice arm rest though wink.gif

kevin
stock93
This is my play car at the moment. I'm sure I'll auto x with it at least a time or two...yeah only a couple of times wink.gif I may eventually race it. I could use a nice armrest. I really dont want to mount it in the passanger side cause I do need to be able to take a passanger with me.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.