Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn, hit a deer this morning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I just got off the Narrows Bridge and was taking an off ramp. My speed was about 55. I hit the brakes and steared the wrong way. Who knows how fast I was going when I* hit it. There was big thunk and I drug it a ways. It was not pretty. It was alive when I walked back to it but, died shortly. sad.gif

I'm OK but, kind of shook up.

The car is toast. The air bags didn't deploy but, the right front quarter panel is folded, hoods toast, grill is gone, headlight is gone, radiator is holed, alignment is off and I think the front end is pushed to the left. The car is a 95 with 148 thou, no collision coverage.

Luckily, I have a body shop guy as a patient this morning. I bet I'll be getting a salvage yard to tow it.

I guess I'll be shopping for a car this afternoon

Dave
woobn8r
Glad you are okay....
the silver lining is...you can by the car back from insurance as a DONOR!
tdgray
Sorry to hear that Dave... scary too. I have not hit a deer in awhile but I remember what it felt like sad.gif

If you are a subby fan like I am... check out the 08 Outback... just picked mine up last weekend and I love it wub.gif

I got the PZEV model (partial zero emissions vehicle). Web site says it is the cleanest vehicle they ever sold... possibly even cleaner than most of the hybrids. I did not buy it for this reason but it was nice to have the choice.

Happy hunting....ewww bad pun biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
jerry can take the bus to school or have a buddy pick him up for awhile. you'll make his day tonight. back in a super. de-ja vu. was this on the jackson exit?
Gint
Glad your OK Dave. That's not the best way to go hunting you know.

and...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Let's see the carnage!
DNHunt
Ya Jackson exit. I may have to drive the Super for a bit. We'll see. Bad time for the teener to be on Jackstands I quess.
rhodyguy
dave will wind up in the super and the next thing you know, it'll be a set of dual carbs and a perfomance exhaust for the 1776. should the air bags of deployed with a deer impact? i've never owned a car with them.

k
Allan
Bummer Dave.

Glad you're okay.
Dave_Darling
agree.gif What Headrage said.

--DD
Aaron Cox
sucky man. Did you at least bring it home for supper? tongue.gif

glad you are okay dave!
dinomium
one more exsample of Gig Harbor trying to be more like Orcas Island!

Glad you are a ok. You should get a Cayman just to get over this horrible near death incounter!
davep
Very sorry to hear of it. So glad that you are okay though.

A real bummer if the budget is severely impacted.

jsharp.gif I grew up eating venison, and moose; who cared where the beef was

I hit a deer once, along I90 near Batavia NY. Driving late at night, just bombing along in a 1981 Firechicken. Saw the deer just in time to flick the steering and move over a lane, thus keeping the animal from riding the hood and killing us all. The front fender was dented back about 0.25" behind the headlight and a few dings along the side, cosmetic really but $1400 in damage. The adjuster did not notice half the damage without it being pointed out. The front bumper had to be replaced I think since it took most of the hit.

We were on our way to Orangeburg NY for a PCA Zone 1 swapmeet. Ah, those were the days.
914werke
Wow. that is a bummer, Ive never hit a deer but come close a couple a
times (once on a Bike huh.gif ) Seems strange that the bag(s) didnt deploy
idea.gif defective? How big was the deer and did you just leave it or hoist it on the roof? I agree since you werent injured that is the best news, but think of the Venison sausage and an drivetrain transplant smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
blink.gif Glad you're okay Dave. How big was the deer? chowtime.gif
Zaney
Glad to hear that you are Ok! Too bad for car but, that is what insurance is for.
TGIF screwy.gif
Pnambic
I'm not sure about Subarus, but I had a similar experience in a Saturn (twice in 35 days actually...). Anyway, when I contacted Saturn about the airbags, the guy explained to me that there's actually an accelerometer (sp?) between the front seats that measures how fast the car decelerates. And that's what determines if the airbags deploy or not. So there are no sensors in the bumper, at least in a '99 Saturn SL2.

Thankfully, I've never had the airbags go off, and I'm told by those in the know that you really only want them as a last case scenario. Getting hit with an airbag inflating at about 70mph hurts apparently.

Glad you're OK.
Eric_Shea
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I remember too well... Wiffy meet deer.

Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Oct 26 2007, 11:22 AM) *

Thankfully, I've never had the airbags go off, and I'm told by those in the know that you really only want them as a last case scenario. Getting hit with an airbag inflating at about 70mph hurts apparently.

Glad you're OK.

I can attest. Punched my S6 at about 70 a christmass or two ago deployed both bags. Tore-up and Burned both my hands. confused24.gif
mstein95
Glad to hear you're OK Dave.
I often drive home late at night from Shelton and I often wonder which night will be the one the deer walks out in front of me.

Scary
McMark
Bummer. I hate deer. Totalled my 914 once upon a time and damaged by girlfriends perfect 69 912 in the same week. mad.gif

Part it out for $$$.
TROJANMAN
My wife once hit a deer..........with her Camaro (cheesy)

It happened in Bel Air of all places. Go figure........
Eddie914
Dave,

Glad to hear you are OK!

Sorry about the Subi.

With the way your Raby engine has turned out, there is no way the Subi is going to be an engine donor for the 914.

If you need a Teener fix, there will be a couple of white 914-6 Teeners mixing it up out at the track at Bremerton tomorrow. Bring a helmet!

Rides are free ... driving is priceless!

Eddie
DNHunt
No collision or comprehesive on it. Blue book value is somewhere between 2 and 3 thou. My patient who owns an autobody place says 2500 to 3000 for repairs. Doesn't really make sense to fix it. The radiator is holed so it'll never see the home side of the bridge again unless it's towed. I think the best solution is to drive it to the local wreaking yard and try for a couple of bucks. Any local guy that wants a 2.2l Subi with all the electronics better speak up. 148000 miles so it ain't no spring chicken but, it was service every 3 thousand. Still it has all the electronics. Any body that wants it pays for towing and a couple of C notes I'll talk. I'd just as soon have someone who might be able to use it get a deal as let Hap the wrecker profit. He's always gouged me anyway.

I have a bit of a sore back. I must have flinched or something. That should be good for a weekend of relaxation.

The deer is gone. I'm sure it was knocking at the pearly gates when I left. Breathing was inconsistent and frothy blood out of the nostrils. Maybe someone has it hanging but, not me.

The wife is trying to hold onto cash but, I'm pushing for a Honda Fit. Nice small parts hauler and a definite upgrade from the Subi. Still she's tight and it's going to be an uphill battle.

Anyway thanks for everyones concern.

Dave
Rocky
WOW Dave!!! I just got on this site after some time and this is what I see!

I have to drive to Chelan over the mountains in about 1/2 hour and I see deer all the time, makes me want to think twice.

I will be back this Monday and would be happy to look at your back. Please call me. 549-3493

Tim
bernbomb914
I have two to my credit 1st one was between Ojai and Santa Barbara in a new 60 corvette. caught it on the foreleg and flipped it into the other lane. tore up the fiberglass. the 2nd one was on I-15 outside of Cedar City about 5:00 AM we were in the Motorhome. smashed the front fiberglass but was able to drive it home to Temecula, $7000 damage. I hope that is all Iam intitled to
Bernie
abbott295
Glad to hear you are okay, Dave. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen too many dead deer along the roads here in Georgia, but it's the season for it. We all need to watch out for them. Time change soon will probably get us on the road when they aren't expecting us. Be careful everyone!

Alfred
DNHunt
New Honda econobox in the garage tonight. Honda Fit. It seems like a pretty tight little car. Turn in is real quick but, I haven't taken it into any corners very quick yet. I suspect it'll push like a shopping cart. It looks like Honda feels that way too as the rear brakes are itty bitty drums. Sweet little 5 speed that shifts like butter. Honda knows transmissions. Anyway, it'll get me from here to there and be OK.

Dave
TJB/914
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 27 2007, 07:45 PM) *

New Honda econobox in the garage tonight. Honda Fit. It seems like a pretty tight little car. Turn in is real quick but, I haven't taken it into any corners very quick yet. I suspect it'll push like a shopping cart. It looks like Honda feels that way too as the rear brakes are itty bitty drums. Sweet little 5 speed that shifts like butter. Honda knows transmissions. Anyway, it'll get me from here to there and be OK.

Dave

Dave,

Glad your ok & you were not your 914.

Tom
BTW: You hit one of these ELK in MI & your toast. bye1.gif
jimtab
Nice 6 pointer...the way to hit them is with a 30.06 round...right behind the ear
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.