Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top restoration products/tools...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bogaat
Anyone have others? Obviously, we all need the basics...these are general use items that I found to be invaluable...

1) Very fine (00) steel wool...polish, remove overspray from wiring/whatever
2) SimiChrome metal polish - this stuff rocks...thanks Pat drunk.gif
3) liquid Glycerin - good for old rubber
4) Dremel with wire wheel...at a slow speed, it made quick work of my fog grills...they were nasty! I had no idea there was chrome under there
5) Bench grinder - clean rust off old bolts, skin off knuckles, etc
6) Simple green - nice mild degreaser/cleaner
7) Por15 Metal Ready...used this stuff wherever I saw rust and followed with paint
8) brake cleaner...great for removing old butyl

beer3.gif

On a side note, I should be cranking up the car for the first time this weekend...just waiting on the Por15 tank sealer to dry! Wish me luck beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
My top restoration tools:
Metric sockets 8mm - 17mm
Metric wrenches 8mm - 17mm
8mm triple square
Metric allen keys, including 17mm

With those basic tools, you can remove or replace just about every bolt on these cars.

Zach
914rrr
I definitely agree with the metric allen keys. I recently bought 2 sets of 3/8" drive metric allen keys (short and long) from Harbor Freight (on sale) with the 'ball' ends. They come in really handy for door screws, especially the inside bolt for the exterior door handle.

BTW, we ARE talking about 914's (rust's best friend!) ... a MIG welder! welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.