Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should be replaced this winter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I've got a great running '75 1.8. driving.gif When I take it off the road this winter, I plan to pull the motor/trans out in order to clean up the engine bay, deal with some surface rust (I hope it's only on the surface) around the engine shelf, replace the stainless steel brakelines with OEM ones and to do maintenance to the motor (valve adjust, push tube seals, etc).

While I have the motor out, I'm wondering if I should do any of the following:

1. replace fuel lines by the gas tank, in the tunnel and in the engine bay (CFR lines)
2. replace accel and clutch cables

I plan to pull the gas tank and inspect all these areas, but given the car is 32 years old and that I've only owned it for about 3 months, is it wise just to place these things now regardless of their condition? Is there anything else I should be doing?
type47
the metal fuel lines in the tunnel is a great idea. with the cars being 30+ yrs old, the plastic lines are becoming suspect. however that said, this is what i did and why, not a suggestion and i will probably get chair.gif .

on my 74, the fuel pump is in the stock location. never had any vapor lock problems (insert knock on wood smilie here). since the fuel pump in this location "sucks" the fuel from the tank, the plastic lines are not under great pressure. if the pump were in the 75-76 location or had been relocated, the plastic lines would be under great pressure (~30 psi) and i would not trust the old plastic lines. i did not know about the situation when i had my motor out, if i had, i would have replaced w/metal fuel lines.
toon1
do it all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.