Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - 61 356B Super 90, your thoughts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Hey guys I will start off with I know Zip, nada, zero about 356's hence my question. I posted teh same question on Pelican. Went and looked at a 1961 356 B super 90 today. I was happy to see that it is a pretty solid car. It runs and drives, carbs were just rebuilt and gas tank cleaned and boiled. New fuel lines also. Floors and trunk area look and feel very solid.

Problem areas: Old red repaint over white. Guages don't work (most of the time)
Driver side rear brake seems to be dragging. Headliner shot and most side window seals are bad.

He has new head liner and some seals. Car drove ok, starts right up and idles smooth. Overall I like it. He is asking $15k, but would take my 88 944 and $6k cash. I value my 944 at $7k (68K miles and all major service done this year).

Check out the picrures and let me know what you think. Keep in mind if i would get it I would fix the rear brake issue and just drive the car while collecting parts to restore it. I am not looking for a concourse restoration, just want to keep it nice orginal and enjoy the sunny day drives. - Thanks!
GaroldShaffer
Few more pictures biggrin.gif

GaroldShaffer
Last of the pictures piratenanner.gif

DanT
looks pretty decent....is that rust bubbles along the bottom of the doors.
there and the bottom of the front fenders in front of the door jam are pretty common spots.

overall looks pretty good although 15K for a coupe that needs works seems a bit high.

keep in mind that restoratiion parts for 356s are even tougher to find than 914 parts and they are another few clicks higher on the $$$ factor...

does look to be a fairly complete car....
how good are you at body work and rust repair?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is not a super 90 or someone has replaced the engine. Coupes are the best 356 buy these days but even I would say 15 is high for a car that needs TOTAL restoration. For 10,000 though you could not go wrong.
Cap'n Krusty
I agree. Besides what you've checked, I'd sure like to see what's going on under the floor mats. That stuff on the bottom could be hiding something. look, too, at the structure in front of the tub, the cross bracing and such. Looks a bit like the longs have been messed with. Normal or Super engine. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
OOPS! Double post! The Cap'n
davep
I agree, sure not a Super 90 engine from the looks of it. Big difference in value & performance. You need to get the engine numbers to get any sort of an idea. There is a serial number on the 3rd piece (end piece) and type numbers from the main case halves. The numbers should agree because it is very bad to use a different 3rd piece on the case halves. Be very very careful!
GWN7
Gold book prices:

1961 PORSCHE 356B Dsp/HP Eng Fair Good Exc Show Loan
COUPE 1960-63 1.6/60 4C 12,000 17,000 36,000 45,200 S 15,000
CABRIOLET (3,096 mfd) 1960-63 1.6/60 4C 24,000 35,000 51,000 72,600 S 31,500
ROADSTER (2,653 mfd) 1960-62 1.6/60 4C 27,000 41,000 68,000 76,400 S 37,000
Add: Super 10%, Super 90 15%

Data updated August 2007 .
jonferns
ive always loved the looks of the 356...now only if some $$$ would fall out of the sky...

-JON
dr914@autoatlanta.com
One needs to watch getting into a 356 coupe that needs work these days. We are up to 55,000 on ours almost finished and it is only worth 35,000! The best thing with this car is to buy and scrub it up and just drive it and not get into restoration (on this so called super 90!) Then you can have fun and not heartbreak. Our car is now very beautiful and it is a '65 sc, but the heartache that we are upside down in it makes it a lot less pretty.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 26 2007, 05:14 PM) *

One needs to watch getting into a 356 coupe that needs work these days. We are up to 55,000 on ours almost finished and it is only worth 35,000! The best thing with this car is to buy and scrub it up and just drive it and not get into restoration (on this so called super 90!) Then you can have fun and not heartbreak. Our car is now very beautiful and it is a '65 sc, but the heartache that we are upside down in it makes it a lot less pretty.

agree.gif
davep
Porsche ownership is generally a moneypit. It is a labour of love.
alpha434
Looks like a good start for a racer.

But there aren't very many desirable parts attached to it. The interior pieces being a big part of it.

Also, the rubberized crap on the bottom is a huge pain in the A and it hides rust very well. Risk.

It wouldn't be feasible to restore that within 15grand outside of the purchase price. That's my warning.
jd74914
I think its a little pricey. But then again, this is coming from the guy who declined buying a B ragtop for $5K (with all of the parts to restore it) and just saw it sell on ebay missing its engine and other parts for $25K. headbang.gif

I would say if you can get it for 12 it might be a good deal. No offense, but realistically is your 944 worth 7?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 26 2007, 05:09 PM) *

I would say if you can get it for 12 it might be a good deal. No offense, but realistically is your 944 worth 7?

Yep it is. 88 944 NA 68K orginal miles, no dash cracks EVERYTHING works correctly, Major service (timing belt, rollers, new CV 6K miles ago) AC blows ICE cold. Oh and the rear hatch and sunroof do not leak one drop. aktion035.gif

Thanks for the advice guys. I did pull the carpet up and the pans look real good. The guy was honest (for the most part) about the engine. He wasn't 100% sure if it is a super 90 or not. He said the block has no serial number and the carbs are not correct. Like I said I don't know jack about 356 cars.

George I hear ya about the restoration costs, kind of like a 914 huh. smile.gif I agree if a deal was to happen it the best thing to do is clean it up and drive the snot out of it.

Now that I have had time to think about it and get away from the 356 fever, I might just pass on it. Its not like 356 has been my dream car or anything, it is just the cool factor that gets me. The best part of today is I got to drive it biggrin.gif and his 1966 912. The 912 needs some major work, but it was fun.
dr914@autoatlanta.com

356 fever is a GREAT thing to have and I certainly would not let this car get away. I would say that two grand and your car max, and you would have a piece of porsche history never to be repeated! (the seller is the smart one, getting rid of an old smelly 356 for a BEAUTIFUL driving and looking 944 he can use everyday, listen to the radio and turn on the ice cold air conditioning! What are you NUTS to trade that beauty??
YES!!!!!!!! Join the nut pack!!! I have a 60 cab a 60 roadster a 61 roadster and now this 65 sc coupe and want another! (like a woman who starts to have babies and just has to have another!)

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 26 2007, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 26 2007, 05:09 PM) *

Yep it is. 88 944 NA 68K orginal miles, no dash cracks EVERYTHING works correctly, Major service (timing belt, rollers, new CV 6K miles ago) AC blows ICE cold. Oh and the rear hatch and sunroof do not leak one drop. aktion035.gif

Thanks for the advice guys. I did pull the carpet up and the pans look real good. The guy was honest (for the most part) about the engine. He wasn't 100% sure if it is a super 90 or not. He said the block has no serial number and the carbs are not correct. Like I said I don't know jack about 356 cars.

George I hear ya about the restoration costs, kind of like a 914 huh. smile.gif I agree if a deal was to happen it the best thing to do is clean it up and drive the snot out of it.

Now that I have had time to think about it and get away from the 356 fever, I might just pass on it. Its not like 356 has been my dream car or anything, it is just the cool factor that gets me. The best part of today is I got to drive it biggrin.gif and his 1966 912. The 912 needs some major work, but it was fun.

914rrr
FWIW, this just sold on evilbay....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...116774&rd=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.