Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring wiring wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
As some of you know, I am putting a new motor in my 73. I have everything in, and am in the final stages of getting ready to start the motor.

So I am dealing with the wiring, and I need some help. I tried the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, but they don't seem to match up. So I took notes and here's where I need some help:

The Harness @ Relay board has 2 sections. One that goes under the car to the starter and one that stays on top.

Under: Backup Lights (2 x bullet connectors), and 1 X spade to starter (is the starter connection correct?)

Above: 4 Wires that I don't know where they go.
White
Green/Red
Brown
Black

@ the Battery

Big thick black from + terminal to starter (correct?)
Ground to - terminal
3 x Red wires (sort of bundled) to + terminal (correct?)

From Alternator

Single Red to starter? Same post as battery connection?

3 wires into a tri-plug (red, green and brown) Don't know where this plugs into. Thanks John

Dizzy (with pertronix) Red & Black (I assume to coil. Want to confirm which color to +/-. Don't want to fry the dizzy.

Relay board
Added ground jumper per Sir Andy's technote for carb fuel pumps.

Also, I need to move the dizzy since it looks like it will interfere with carb linkage in the stock location. Suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help!
john rogers
I use the color diagrams on the Pelican site for my 1973 race car. The 1973 diagram is crowded and sort of hard to read so I use the 1974. I printed the sections and taped them together and have used that sheet for a long time. I replaced the relay board back in May so I had to mate the 12 and 14 pin connector wires with weather proof connectors.

To with the wires some, the green/red is the oil pressure light line. The white wire is a feed for the FI system. The tri-connector plus into the relay board and feeds the voltage regulator. I can't remember any of the others, sorry.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 27 2007, 01:33 PM) *

I use the color diagrams on the Pelican site for my 1973 race car. The 1973 diagram is crowded and sort of hard to read so I use the 1974. I printed the sections and taped them together and have used that sheet for a long time. I replaced the relay board back in May so I had to mate the 12 and 14 pin connector wires with weather proof connectors.

To with the wires some, the green/red is the oil pressure light line. The white wire is a feed for the FI system. The tri-connector plus into the relay board and feeds the voltage regulator. I can't remember any of the others, sorry.

Thanks John. I will check the PP site.

Where does that tri-connector plug in? On the bottom? It's not that long I don't think.
john rogers
My relay board had the plug on top, right behind the raised area where the voltage regulator pluged in and it has three male spade lugs sticking up. There is a small raised ridge molded into the top and the regulator fits into that. The molded cover goes over the wire harness from the alternator after it plugs into the replay board so it is protected from the weather.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 27 2007, 03:11 PM) *

My relay board had the plug on top, right behind the raised area where the voltage regulator pluged in and it has three male spade lugs sticking up. There is a small raised ridge molded into the top and the regulator fits into that. The molded cover goes over the wire harness from the alternator after it plugs into the replay board so it is protected from the weather.

John - I found it. Thanks!
KaptKaos
Doing some checking and it seems that the red wires by the battery and the 4 wires off of the harness are the ones I am most concerned with at the moment.

here are some pix:

Red wires

Click to view attachment

And here are the 4 wires that come off the harness from the relay board.

Click to view attachment

Thanks in advance.

swl
Well the top one is easy. That's your power distribution wires - goes to the + side of the battery.

Middle one not so easy but I'm guessing one is the tach wire - black with purple stripe - goes to the - of the coil. In the same bundle as the black with purple should be the power supply to the coil - all black I think. Goes to the plus side of the coil.

Drawing a blank on the other two but the one on the bottom has a non standard connector - possibly something to do with fuel pump? Common for the fuel pump to connect to the + side of the coil (for carbs)
JeffBowlsby
"The Harness @ Relay board has 2 sections. One that goes under the car to the starter and one that stays on top.

Under: Backup Lights (2 x bullet connectors), and 1 X spade to starter (is the starter connection correct?)

White
Green/Red
Brown
Black "

You are talking about the ignition harness, which also has the two black wires to the starter and coil.

White: mate to the red aux air regulator
Green/red: Oil pressure sender
Brown - this one stumps me...a 73 ignition harness should not have this wire...maybe you have an earlier year ignition harness? Brown is the standard color for ground, and the earlier year harnesses grounded the heater fan through this harness.

Black would be to the coil...but look really carefully to see if it has a purple stripe to determine which pole of the coil to install it on. there are two black wires in this harness, both go to the coil
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 27 2007, 11:21 AM) *

Should be a yellow wire with a flag terminal on it. Plugs into the starter solenoid; all of those spades on the solenoid are electrically the same.

White
Green/Red
Brown
Black

Jeff B. covered it. AAR, oil pressure light sender, the other two should go to the coil. The black/red should go to the coil (+) terminal, the black/purple should go to the (-). Check which pin the black and brown wires plug into, and match that up to the relay board diagram.

@ the Battery

Big thick black from + terminal to starter (correct?)
Ground to - terminal
3 x Red wires (sort of bundled) to + terminal (correct?)

Yup.

From Alternator

Single Red to starter? Same post as battery connection?

Yup.

3 wires into a tri-plug (red, green and brown) Don't know where this plugs into. Thanks John

Dizzy (with pertronix) Red & Black (I assume to coil. Want to confirm which color to +/-. Don't want to fry the dizzy.

Check with the Pertronix instructions or with the manufacturer. Probably red is (+) and black is (-), but get it backwards and you'll fry it. So make sure first!

--DD
Aaron Cox
thats how i remember the p-tronix hookup.

find a .pdf on their website on hookup?
KaptKaos
Does the wiring to the starter change drastically if I have the compact hi-torque starter?
Aaron Cox
it needs +, -, and a switched + wire to the solenoid smile.gif

same
KaptKaos
I think I have everything wired up. We'll see if it cranks and I get spark! laugh.gif

Next is the fuel lines to the carbs, linkage and some bracketry to hold the throttle cable.

I plugged the return line with aq betterer plug too, just to be sure. Last one was kind kludgey.

Its a slow go when you are doing this for the first time. Triple checking everything and still making mistakes! lol2.gif

Sleepin
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 27 2007, 07:49 PM) *

You are talking about the ignition harness, which also has the two black wires to the starter and coil.

White: mate to the red aux air regulator

Wow, glad I found this! Could someone help explain this hack? Other than it is true testament to never give your saw to a monkey......

IPB Image
IPB Image

The red wire from the AAR is not hooked up at all, but this is... any ideas? The resistor seems like a band aid fix, but shouldnt the AAR still be connected?

'73 2.0 BTW
AvalonFal
I just rewired all this with my '74 2.0L. I think this is how it goes:

Top pic is the cylinder head temperature sensor. 73 2.0L's had a ballast resistor in line. Sensor should be connected to the white wire with plastic plug in the FI harness going back to the ECU.

The red wire of the AAR should connect to a white wire with a plastic plug from the Ignition wiring harness (from the relay board). I don't believe there should be any resistor in the AAR wiring.

Paul
Sleepin
Ok Paul, I think I get it. The majority of the problem was that at one time an ape did work on my car and swapped the heads from side to side. So instead of the CHT sensor being on #3, it was actually on #2. Hence, the unscheduled hole he put in the tin. Once my heads are rebuilt, I will be able to put them on the right sides, repair the tin and get the very unpretty wiring he did ...un did.

I will track down the white wire on the ignition harness and see if I can't get that hooked up properly.

Thanks for your help Paul.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.