Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How far can I tear down my Dellortos...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
OK,
I'm trying to cure left bank carb popping on my 40 Dells. They are pretty dirty and I'm sure that there's crap in a circuit somewhere. I'd like to try to clean it out myself first before I box them up and send them to Art Thraen to be rebuilt. My question is, how far can I tear them down to run carb cleaner and compressed air through them before I remove something that will need a new seal from a carb kit? I would think that if I opened the bowls, that would need a new gasket. I'm tempted to even try to kit them myself before spending $350 on guaranteeing they're done right. Don't mind spending the money if that's what I really need, but dont want to blow $300 for a tiny piece of crap clogging a line if all else is good. Thoughts? Thanks!

--Jaybird
slackin' at work
QUOTE(jaybird840 @ Oct 27 2007, 05:31 PM) *

OK,
I'm trying to cure left bank carb popping on my 40 Dells. They are pretty dirty and I'm sure that there's crap in a circuit somewhere. I'd like to try to clean it out myself first before I box them up and send them to Art Thraen to be rebuilt. My question is, how far can I tear them down to run carb cleaner and compressed air through them before I remove something that will need a new seal from a carb kit? I would think that if I opened the bowls, that would need a new gasket. I'm tempted to even try to kit them myself before spending $350 on guaranteeing they're done right. Don't mind spending the money if that's what I really need, but dont want to blow $300 for a tiny piece of crap clogging a line if all else is good. Thoughts? Thanks!

--Jaybird

you won't know until you get them apart. if you can take it all apart without the main gaskets pulling apart or ripping, you can reuse them. However, depending on how old they are chances are they may rip.

cb performance sells Dell 'upgrade kits' for the idles circuit... you might want to check that out. helps with the easily-blocked idle circuit.

I'd give it a shot and if they rip, I'd be ready to ship them off and have them professionally done. Or sell them and get more readily available webers (but Im a big dell fan myself).

good luck! beer.gif

Twystd1
"Slackin At Work" NAILED it.

I agree......

Clayton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.