Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gold vs. silver badging?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
slackin' at work
so what is the deal with silver vs. gold badging (ie: engine lid letters and rear badge)?

My 72 is gold and my old 74 was silver.

Im not one for gold anything... so let me know if it was an early/late thing, or if it even really matters. If it is supposed to be gold I will keep it... but if it doesn't matter I'd be interested in eventually swapping them out for silver.

thanks in advance gurus!! beer3.gif

-chris

1970 Neun vierzehn
Chris,
The 1972 914s were badged with the "gold" 914 and PORSCHE numbers/letters. Later years were issued with black or silver, depending on the model year.

Paul
Pat Garvey
'72s should definitely be badged with gold! By that, I mean rear insignia & engine lid letters. NO Porsche crest in the front - regardless of year (OK, except for one or two really special 914's). Remeber, the 914 is a NARP, much like the Dino used to be - no Factory affiliation permitted.
Pat

ps - I can't believ I actually was able to get a post through!
slackin' at work
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 27 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Chris,
The 1972 914s were badged with the "gold" 914 and PORSCHE numbers/letters. Later years were issued with black or silver, depending on the model year.

Paul

thanks guys for the info. looks like Im keeping it gold.
its not going to be a showcar but want to keep it as close to original as I can.

unfortunately, the car has a front badge. are they glued on or do they have pins? My car STILL isn't here yet... or else I'd be able to check it out.
TedK
Most likely has pins & holes in the hood.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Oct 29 2007, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 27 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Chris,

Paul

thanks guys for the info. looks like Im keeping it gold.
its not going to be a showcar but want to keep it as close to original as I can.

unfortunately, the car has a front badge. are they glued on or do they have pins? My car STILL isn't here yet... or else I'd be able to check it out.

I'd bet that 50% or more of the existing 914's have had crests put on the front boot. If it's glued on, the better. If it's "pinned" on (as in holes drilled though the boot) just keep it sealed & watch for corrrosion around the holes.

It's not the end of the world to have a crest installed.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.