Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exactly which vacuum lines do I need?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Ok - I have most of my vacuum lines hooked up (1.7 Djet) but there are still some connections I'm unsure about and if they're needed.

-Two vacuum connections from each head into the flashback valve, and then into the air filter. Needed? I have this hooked up but it didn't seem to make a difference whether connected or not.

-Back side of the vacuum canister on the distributor. My dizzy only has the outside vacuum nipple/connection.

-I have totally deleted the deceleration valve circuit, and capped off the decel valve vacuum port on the intake air distributor and also plugged the small connection from the AAR to the decel valve. Is this ok to do?

-Haynes manual shows a hose from the air filter to the same spot where the MPS hose plugs in on the intake air distributor. What's this ? I don't seem to have the connections for this.

-Charcoal canister and fan housing connections. My fan housing connection is completely unhooked and unplugged. Haynes shows a hose from the fan housing to the air filter. Is this needed?

Thanks...(I'm a terrible searcher)
Hammy
Anyone? sad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 27 2007, 10:01 PM) *

Ok - I have most of my vacuum lines hooked up (1.7 Djet) but there are still some connections I'm unsure about and if they're needed.

-Two vacuum connections from each head into the flashback valve, and then into the air filter. Needed? I have this hooked up but it didn't seem to make a difference whether connected or not.

-Back side of the vacuum canister on the distributor. My dizzy only has the outside vacuum nipple/connection.

-I have totally deleted the deceleration valve circuit, and capped off the decel valve vacuum port on the intake air distributor and also plugged the small connection from the AAR to the decel valve. Is this ok to do?

-Haynes manual shows a hose from the air filter to the same spot where the MPS hose plugs in on the intake air distributor. What's this ? I don't seem to have the connections for this.

-Charcoal canister and fan housing connections. My fan housing connection is completely unhooked and unplugged. Haynes shows a hose from the fan housing to the air filter. Is this needed?

Thanks...(I'm a terrible searcher)

Well, what's you're setup? Still have the FI installed? If so, you need ALL connections. Any pic's of your setup?
Pat
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 27 2007, 08:01 PM) *

Not needed to run, but needed to keep oil out of the engine bay. (Incidentally, it has been illegal to vent the crankcase and heads to the atmosphere since 1965, according to the Cap'n.)

Then either you have the wrong distributor, or something is wrong with your vacuum gizmo ("dashpot"). There should be both an advance (the one you have) and a retard (pointing back toward the distributor body) fitting. If there are two fittings on the throttle body, both of those should be hooked up. The advance fitting should be hooked up to the fitting on the rear side of the throttle body, the retard fitting to the one on the front of the throttle body. Cap off any throttle body fittings that you cannot hook up correctly; leave the distributor fittings unplugged if you cannot hook them up correctly.

It's better to have the decel valve, but the engine will run without it. Plug any fittings that used to go to the DV. Though the "small connection from the AAR to the DV" confuses me. Perhaps it's a 1.7 thing that I haven't looked at...

The Haynes illustration is from a VW Type IV, not a 914. Ignore that connection.

Fan housing gets connected to the charcoal cannister. The cannister gets hooked up to the air cleaner housing. Not needed for the car to run, but needed to keep gas fumes from getting out into the air. An emissions requrement, and completely harmless to the engine's performance.

--DD
Hammy
The distributor shows a correct part number for a 1.7 dizzy and has Pertronix internals. But the vacuum canister on the side seems smaller than most I've seen (I have another 1.7 dizzy with a larger vac. canister and two ports). Could someone have replaced the vacuum unit somehow? I don't understand why there wouldn't be a retard connection. confused24.gif
toon1
Pelican has a pic of where all the vac hoses should be run for a 1.7.

If you need a dizzy, you can have the one from my car it works good.

I ran the retard vac. line with no probs.

It doesn't sound like it's running but If you can get it to my house I will go over it with you.

Keith
Hammy
QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 29 2007, 08:40 AM) *

Pelican has a pic of where all the vac hoses should be run for a 1.7.

If you need a dizzy, you can have the one from my car it works good.

I ran the retard vac. line with no probs.

It doesn't sound like it's running but If you can get it to my house I will go over it with you.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I'll be having it towed to my mechanic and have him go over it with me to help me with the timing and to make sure it's road worthy... If I need anything else I'll let you know. I'm sure another something will come up... Oh and the first injector I tried worked good. No leaks smile.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 28 2007, 07:41 PM) *
Could someone have replaced the vacuum unit somehow?

It only takes two screws and an E-clip to change out the vacuum unit, so that is a possibility...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.