Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Studs & lug nuts for steel wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
Previous owner installed some lame alloy wheels. They used studs and chrome lug nuts. It seems the studs were too short for the wheels, as when I removed them, it only took a few turns before the lugs let loose.

So...question is...can I re-use these studs/nuts for mounting my stock steel wheels?
Project 6
You should have 6-7 turns on a lugnut. On a 914/4 studs should be pressed in from the back. If they used screw in type, toss theem and get the right lug BOLTS.

If it's a five lug 911 styel with pressed in studs with flanges on the back, chase them with a new bolt and cutting oil or with a proper die and reuse.
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Bass Fisher @ Oct 28 2007, 12:55 AM) *

You should have 6-7 turns on a lugnut. On a 914/4 studs should be pressed in from the back. If they used screw in type, toss theem and get the right lug BOLTS.

If it's a five lug 911 styel with pressed in studs with flanges on the back, chase them with a new bolt and cutting oil or with a proper die and reuse.

Well...it is a 914-4 that was converted to a -6, but it still has the stock (4 hole) hubs. The hubs are tapped for screw-in bolts, not pressed-in studs. I am (temporarily) installing 4-lug steel wheels until I convert the whole mess to 5 lug. Just wondering if I can use the screw-in studs & lug nuts until then.
Project 6
Depends on the condition and how many turns you can get on the studs with the bolts. Screw in studs also run the risk of backing out of the threaded disks and rear hubs.

You could try and lock-tight the hell out of them. I wouldn't use them in heavy or "spirited" driving.
DanT
from another perspective.

I have used screw in BBS studs for two AX, DE/TT seasons. These are heavy duty, racing sanctioned studs. Not the cheap VW screw in studs with the allen screw head on them for installation.

wheels have been off and on numerous times. at no time have the studs moved!

everyone has different ideas on what works.

these have worked great for me since I put in longer studs and use various size spacers depending on the wheels I have on at the time.

I have one set of 4 lug Fuchs, one set of Empi 8 spoke alloys, and one set of 7" steelies. They all work great with the screw in studs, steel lug nuts and various wheel sets. smile.gif

Project 6
Operative word(s). Cheap VW screw in studs.

I know, let's dredge up the Home Depot/Trekkor thread that went on for weeks on the same subject.

chair.gif

That was a load of fun. popcorn[1].gif

I doubt very seriously the PO bought the good ones.
DanT
QUOTE(Bass Fisher @ Oct 27 2007, 10:19 PM) *

Operative word(s). Cheap VW screw in studs.

I doubt very seriously the PO bought the good ones.

that was my point. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.