Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are there any smaller/lighter batteries?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
Building a 914/6 track car with carbed 3.0. What is out there? What battery tray? -I need to purchase one. Any pics? beer3.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Oct 28 2007, 04:38 PM) *

Building a 914/6 track car with carbed 3.0. What is out there? What battery tray? -I need to purchase one. Any pics? beer3.gif

Optima Red Top. But you will need to drive the car daily, or keep it on a trickle charger.

Zach
DanT
this one weighs a bit under 11 pounds with bracket. biggrin.gif
d914
odessey(sp) 15.5 lbs and plenty of power, jegs and others sell different mounting methods. about $100-130 plus mount.
Rand
Optimas are great, but you mentioned smaller / lighter. The Odyssey PC680 rocks.

Going rate seems to average $119. At Summit Racing for example.

Dan's setup looks sweet too. Are the specs and performance about the same? Price? Where to buy?
Krieger
Cool thanks guys. Are you using them for 6 cylinders? Dan is that battery of yours a wet cell?
echocanyons
I give a second for the oddessey,

They have a really light one (PC680) for race apps. but I have the PC925 in my 911 and have had no troubles (unlike my optima's).

you should justr be able to strap them down, the thin ones and probably the square ones can lie on there side.

I have bought direct from westcoast batteries with no trouble

west coast battery
stateofidleness
so as to avoid a "new topic", im wanting to 'upgrade' the battery on mine and hope to relocate it to the rear trunk area.

id like to stay under the $150 mark and im not real sure what im looking for when it comes to car batteries.

12V
what are cold cranking amps and how important is it?
does size mean anything other than weight?
drycell and wetcell difference?

what are some recommendations and the best way to relocate the battery?
Rand
Why relocate the battery? I'm asking in almost rhetorical terms here, because I relocated mine to the rear trunk. But if you get a sealed battery (like the Optima or Odyssey) you eliminate the original problem of the stock battery... The water runoff carrying the acid down into the hellhole.

Clean up the rust damage from the factory battery. Get a sealed battery. Mount it where you like - but don't feel that relocation is necessary.

If you have a big stereo and extra stuff that draws current, you may need an Optima. If not, an Odyssey is fine. If you car starts easily and you don't pull a huge current draw that keeps your alternator from recharging the battery as you drive.... Then you don't need a battery larger than the PC680.

d914
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentthe 680 started my 2.5 6 at 35 degrees..... no problem. Carried a boost box but never used..
Rand
For those who can't see Dave's bmp file, the image is below.

The PC680 is fine for sixes as well. Like I said: If your car is hard to start and you have extra stuff (stereo, big lighting, etc.) drawing current faster than your alternator can keep up with, then you may need a larger battery. Although at that point you should also be looking at an alternator upgrade too....

Otherwise the 680 is fine.
Krieger
I agree not to relocate the battery. I had my 75 cornerbalanced with me in it and very little had to be done. My car has an optima battery in the stock location.The two guys at The Racers group were pleasantly surprised, because they had seen quite a few different locations for the batteryand mine had balanced the best.
Chris Pincetich
I have a Powermaster D680. Summit just started carrying it and at the time didn't have the post adaptor to go from motorcycle style to car style connections...I got the battery shipped free from Summit for <$90, then payed some more to have Powermaster ship me the posts.

Odyssey 34 = 35 lbs
Powermaster D680 = 14 lbs.

It's worked great so far! BUT my 914 kills batteries. 2 Optimas replaced by SEARS for FREE (except I learned yesterday they DON'T stock Optima any more so I have a SEARS Platinum instead), and I JUST killed the Powermaster last week headbang.gif
I'll report back on their customer service later this week. My charger won't charge it, it says "Trouble" sad.gif

So Andy...how's the 6 lookin? beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
eg914
I have been using a Miata battery for about a year now. Started the car fine all last winter. It is an AGM battery. I paid less than $90 at Autozone. It is smaller/lighter than the regular wet cell battery (around 25 lbs).
Joe Ricard
Never seen an engine that a PC680 wouldn't start.
Including my buddies 12:1 Honda race motor ( would eat normal batteries) and another guy's LS1
Krieger
I am about done with all the chassis reinforcing in the rear. I almost forgot about getting a battery tray done before painting the engine compartment and bolting up my completed rear suspension. I have my axles done-ala Sir Andy style 944 cvs on modified 914-4 axles, 911 stubs-trans output flanges. I just got my flywheel back and its been machined and balanced. Its coming...but slow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.