Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I posted this on the Garage & got no response, so I'll try here.

Taco plate - sans sender. What's the original finish? Mine has a semi-gloss finish, and it hasn't been repainted, but it has been polished through the years.

Getting ready to pull it to replace the seal - so what are the torque settings on the nuts, as well as the original finish? Most importantly, what are the torque settings - can't find this in my spec book!?

Pat
slackin' at work
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 28 2007, 09:54 PM) *

I posted this on the Garage & got no response, so I'll try here.

Taco plate - sans sender. What's the original finish? Mine has a semi-gloss finish, and it hasn't been repainted, but it has been polished through the years.

Getting ready to pull it to replace the seal - so what are the torque settings on the nuts, as well as the original finish? Most importantly, what are the torque settings - can't find this in my spec book!?

Pat

*noob alert*
this is the FUNNIEST nick-name for a part I have heard in a long time. just like the "hoover bit" in the bug world, I can not figure out what you are talking about by the context alone... so could you fill me in what this taco plate is. thanks

rolleyes.gif
davep
It is the plate that holds the optional oil temperature sender in the bottom of the engine.

Original finish is sort of a semi-gloss black paint I believe.
Ferg
Torque setting on the two bolts is 6-8lbs IIRC very light.

Take the plate ect and make sure it's flat by testing it on a glass coffee table ect.

Good luck getting it to seal the first time. I finally got mine to stay dry on the third try and by cheating, with a super thin bead of ultra grey between the plates, along with new sender and washer.

Ferg
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 29 2007, 10:51 AM) *

Take the plate ect and make sure it's flat by testing it on a glass coffee table ect.

Good luck getting it to seal the first time. I finally got mine to stay dry on the third try and by cheating, with a super thin bead of ultra grey between the plates, along with new sender and washer.

Ferg

Ferg,
Thanks for the torque settings. Where did you find them?

If I bring ONE MORE Porsche part into the house for cleaning & conditioning I'll be in serious trouble. Believe me, Simple Green doesn't clean everything. So, I'll defer to my benchtop in the garage!

Davep - thanks for verifying the paint - what I suspected. Unfortunately, I have a number of semi & satin black parts that have become glossy through they years of polishing. Any ideas on "dulling" them up a bit?

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 29 2007, 11:51 AM) *

Ferg

Ferg,

Man, were you right! That is one slippery eel. Slips this way & you correct. But then it slips the other way. Think I got it, but we'll find out when I put oil back in. Keep your/mine fingers crossed.

BTW, there some very sharp edges on the plate. Would be easy to ruin the seal by slicing an edge before you ever get it sealed. Hope this issue is done.

Amazing how the little things can be such a PITA!

Pat
McMark
I was at my local ACE hardware and I saw a can of Dulling Solution. No joke! I didn't have time to stop and look at it, but I thought of you as I walked by.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 5 2007, 12:11 AM) *

I was at my local ACE hardware and I saw a can of Dulling Solution. No joke! I didn't have time to stop and look at it, but I thought of you as I walked by.

Thanks Mark, I'll check that out.

I'm also a model railroader & frequently use a product called Dulcote to bring the features of my structures to a semi flat finish. Works great for that purpose, but trying to determine if it will stand up to heat.

Goofy problem, I know....but I'm a goofy guy.

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.