Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High idle when cold then just about right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
Turn on the 72 1.7 engine and it idles around 2k then to about 2.4k until warm then it idles around 1300rpm. Shot carb cleaner around the vacuum lines but don't see any decrease or increase in rpms. Put my hand over the intake boot and can stop the engine so I don't think I have any vacuum leaks. Shot some carb cleaner around the intake runners but again nothing happens to down or up the rpms. The only "loose" fitting I can find is the rubber fitting from the aar to the pleninum. The one that has two fittings a small fitting for a small diameter vacuum line and the larger that goes to the pleninum. I also have the screw for the intake valve thing all the way tightened.
Whats the problem? aar valve not working properly?
Thanks,
Buck
familienauto
My 1.7 does that too. I always thought it was some sort of choke to warm the engine up that drops after a minute or two. Maybe that is a false assumption.

Zach
Dave_Darling
Check the AAR when the engine is warm--after 10 minutes or so of running. There should be one hose from the AAR to the air cleaner; pull it off of the air cleaner while the engine is idling. If any air is going in, you have a failed AAR. Test the Decel Valve simlarly.

Double-check your ignition timing; advanced timing can cause a high idle as well.

I still think there may be a vacuum leak somewhere, but not sure where...

--DD
rmital
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 30 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Double-check your ignition timing; advanced timing can cause a high idle.....

my timing was advanced...got me 1300 rpms as well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.