Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: driver side rear wheel is hard to rotate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
I have a rear wheel that doesn't spin as easily as the other rear wheel. When I jack up the car I can hand turn the passenger side wheel very easily when the tranny is disengaged but the driver side is very "stiff" I assume it is either the caliper not adjusted properly to the rotor or a bad hub bearing. How and what can I do to find out the problem?
Thanks,
Buck
davep
Remove the pads or the caliper to determine if the brakes are dragging. Check the adjusters to see if the pistons can adjuster easily. If they don't then you should rebuild the rear calipers as a set. Call Eric on this. You could even have a bad brake flex line (rubber) that is acting as a one way valve. Or the parking brake cable might be stuck and keeping the brake from releasing.

If you still have a problem without the brake in place, you could separate the axle from the tranny to isolate the problem. Normally the CV joints don't bind, so you could wobble the CV's and check for free motion. Then rotate the shaft and see if the bearing is stiff.

If none of that seems to be the problem, then you are getting into the tranny and the Diff bearings.
McMark
My vote: time for rebuilt rear calipers.

But agree.gif 100% with Dave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.