Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow hook source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Anybody happen to know of an inexpensive source for this type of race car tow hook? The specific application is probably front+rear of a 914 track car that already has fiberglass bumpers which could be slotted if required. The one in the pic is $30/ea plus shipping and fab work so I was wondering if there are other options. I don't really have the tools to fab them from scratch.

IPB Image

TIA,
Brad Roberts
That is actually pretty cheap. I cant think of anyone else that would have them cheaper. Let us know if you find them cheaper.

B
VegasRacer
What is wrong with the stock tow eyes?
I drilled a hole in the back FG bumper to match the stock location.
Welded a mount on the front - another hole in the FG -Voila.

I got the stock tow eyes from AA for $15 each a few years ago.
drew365
Chris; I've seen guys bolt a cloth type handle in the trunk and just let it dangle outside when they close the trunk. I was thinking of trying that, my front dam is pretty far from the chassis so I would have to do a beefie metal one which I'm trying to avoid.
Eric_Shea
$30 seems cheap to me... I need a pair. What's the source?

Thanks!
GWN7
What's the dimensions for the one shown? Does it have a flat end (just a flat bar) or a T style for bolting to the body?
RON S.
You oughta be able to find a fab shop in Ca.that has a laser to pop them out.
Part'll take maybe 15 min's max to program,and 20-30sec's max to burn out.10 cents worth of material(1/8"steel)
Most shops here charge 125-150.00 per hour for laser time.
Do the math.
If they charge you 1/2hour minimum,you could end up w/50-75 pcs.
Part's only worth about 2-3 bucks in any quantity.
30bucks is to high for that part unless someones hand making it and your being held to some kinda minimum.
laser is the best way to go.
Ron
Eric_Shea
Make some up Ron. Chris and I will be your first customers... I'll even pay you a premium of $5.00 smile.gif
RON S.
Gimme a length,width,hole size, and thickness,and I'll play w/it.
I love havin a job that lets you do home projects at work.
How else would I have gotten my teener this far.
Ron
Eric_Shea
Gimme a length,width,hole size, and thickness,and I'll play w/it.

Chris... this is where you come in. Maybe Brad may know...

I think the center hole is around 2" or 2 1/2" I have fiberglass GT bumpers that would be slotted just like Chris'. A quick measurement of those says 4 1/2" to 5" from the body where it would be welded to the face of the bumper. The hole should begin 1" to 2" past that. Anyone care to get more precise? Anyone have some of these we can take some measurements off?
RON S.
Program done,
If this pdf file loads,is this it.
Ron
RON S.
Didn't work.
campbellcj
I haven't figured out the best dimensions or location for the 914. The one in the pic above is a "generic" part on a site I found in Google. http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com

I usually don't cheap out on parts, but I am broke right now, and $60 for two pieces of steel seemed a bit steep.

Vegas -- well, my front factory tow eye is worthless cuz the trunk floor area is weakened by the oil cooler air outlet, plus my spoiler is pretty deep and the whole front end of the car would prolly get ripped off if it was towed from down that close to the ground.

The factory rear hook....well, let's just say I learned from personal experience that those forged eye-bolts are brittle and can snap off leaving the threaded shank in the body. No I wasn't towing using that -- it was a little "mishap" while unloading the trailer in the driveway at night after a day at the track clap56.gif
L8Apex
The factory rear hook....well, let's just say I learned from personal experience that those forged eye-bolts are brittle and can snap off leaving the threaded shank in the body

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Eric_Shea
Ron,

E-Mail me the pdf. ericscottshea@cs.com

It should be made long so the locations could be variable. Users could cut them to fit.
rdracrdave
What i've used in the past is a "U" bend found in most auto parts stores.
the application is for attaching leaf springs to the rear axle banjo on solid rear axle cars. Some of the small import trucks are small radius and wire size but plenty healthy enough for towing out of gravel traps.
One other added benifit is that they are threaded on the end . Makes them easy to adust in and out , plus you can back them up with steel plates so they won't pull through the sheet metal.
I dont have any pictures , but I can take One of the 911 tow hook if you need to see what I'm talking about . Cheap Too, about $10-15.00a set (two).

Dave
TimT
What i've used in the past is a "U" bend..................... for attaching leaf springs to the rear axle banjo on solid rear axle cars.

If you want a more robust u-bolt go to a spring shop that does work on trucks. I got some that were 1/2 dia, about 12 in ling with a 4 in radius.

And like Dave said nicely adjustable.
Brad Roberts
I would like something like this made:

The "loop" is bolted to a piece that welds to the tub and it swings out. We normally put a yellow piece of tape around it so it is easy to pull. I'm trying to locate a pic of it with the bumper off the car.

B
seanery
Dave B. at TRE sells those. I've seen it on a 944 and my buddy put it on his 911, but I didnt see it on that.
Jeroen
The .pdf file that Ron posted above works just fine...
Right click and "save as" will do it

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
here it is as a jpg
Gint
Hey Ron, all...

If someone can get these done at reasonable prices, I'll take a pair.

Make that 2 pair. 4 total Ah hell, if they're under $5, make it 6
Brad Roberts
PPickerell and others on the BBS have laser cutters in their shops.

B
RON S.
That drawing file is something I ginned up in about 10 mins.while I'm here at work.
Another 5 mins.to generate the machine code.
I usually get my laser operator to run my home project parts on Friday's before he goes home for the weekend.
We get the work that pays the bills done first,then play.
If someone wants the CAD file to modify,I can email it.
I wouldn't want to ask my guy to run a bunch of parts that wouldn't work.
Ron
Eric_Shea
I'm down for a pair when they're ready...
ppickerell
What is A-36 plate? I can cut these from 304 stainless and would certainly be under $10 not including shipment each for club footed members.
ppickerell
Coolest toy imaginable!
seanery
would these be T-butt-welded? if not, how do they attach?
hargray2
I noticed this by chance at www.surplustrading.com

They are stainless and are 4.95 ea.

Other than that, I know nothing else about them.
I don't know what size they are or what type of threads they have.
They may only be an inch long for all I know. They looked like they were worth posting in case someone wanted to inquire.
RON S.
Hey Eric,
I'll e-mail the pdf on Mon when I go back to work,I can also send the cad file if you have Acad or some other dwg program to play with it,If it's ok as is,I'll have my guy cut some as is next week.

Ron
RON S.
24 hooks have been cut to drawing.
12pcs.from 1/8"steel
12pcs.from 3/16"steel.
Is Eric listening.
Ron
Jeroen
do you have a price yet?

cheers,

Jeroen
Eric_Shea
Hi Gang,

Sorry Ron, I lost this thread. I'm back from my trade show and I have these available for sale. Thanks to Ron for making these up.

They will be $10.00 each or $18.00 a pair plus shipping. They look great. I'll get some pics tonight and put them on the Vendor board.

PM me if you are interested.

E.
Gint
I lost track of this also. It might be too late to meet my immediate need. But I still want 3 pair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.