Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about fluids.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
I have a 73 2.0L basically stock with hydraulic lifters and a mild cam. I am curious about what type of fuel (octane rating) you guys run. It runs ok on the 87 but I saw a sticker that says 91 recommended so I have been running 92 octane but cant really tell a difference.

I am also looking for oil recommendations type and weight, as well as transmission fluid recommendations.

I want to use my car for light auto-cross and it is a semi daily driver.

Thanks!
Rand
Deja vu... I was just at Pelican. tongue.gif

The sticker says 91 RON, which is not the same as American 91 octane. These things run fine on regular! If you get pinging and you are not running a high compression engine, then the engine needs tuning (starting with timing). Premium fuel is a waste of money on a stockish/mildly built engine.

For oil, I run 20w-50 Castrol. It's been serving me fine for >140,000 miles. If you want something more special, use Brad Penn oil.

In the tranny, use 80w90 GL5 (NOT GL4) or Swepco 201.
skline
I keep looking for the place to put in the power steering fluid. confused24.gif
bmtrnavsky
Well... looks like I am going to switch back to the 87 octane then. piratenanner.gif

Is there any advantage to running synthetic or a synthetic blended oil?
Rand
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 29 2007, 06:17 PM) *

I keep looking for the place to put in the power steering fluid. confused24.gif

I think it goes in the same spout as the antifreeze. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.