Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from Eugene, Oregon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mstein95
Long story short - I have just accepted a job offer and it looks like I'll be heading down late in November.

Anyhoo - I still need to swap my recently rebuilt engine. I would like to get it done before I leave and I've always felt two or three or four heads are better than one. Its trouble-shooting the engine that I think I'll need the most insight, especially if it become temperamental. It is my first rebuild and all.

Is there any interest in assisting....say Thanksgiving weekend (23rd or 24th)?

Of course, all the provisions will be on me. I can also assure a semi warm, clean working area (garage) and sports on the TV. I know - not likely anything will get done.

So, If anyone is interested from escaping the in-laws, the wife or just want to get out and burn some of the 10,000 calories inhaled the day before - I offer a solution.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(mstein95 @ Oct 30 2007, 12:04 PM) *

Long story short - I have just accepted a job offer and it looks like I'll be heading down late in November.

Anyhoo - I still need to swap my recently rebuilt engine. I would like to get it done before I leave and I've always felt two or three or four heads are better than one. Its trouble-shooting the engine that I think I'll need the most insight, especially if it become temperamental. It is my first rebuild and all.

Is there any interest in assisting....say Thanksgiving weekend (23rd or 24th)?

Of course, all the provisions will be on me. I can also assure a semi warm, clean working area (garage) and sports on the TV. I know - not likely anything will get done.

So, If anyone is interested from escaping the in-laws, the wife or just want to get out and burn some of the 10,000 calories inhaled the day before - I offer a solution.

Hey Morgan

I just may be up for that. Keep me posted.

Jon
dinomium
Working Friday, maybe the 24th...
DNHunt
IN

Quack
Eric Taylor
Welcome to Eugene! Come say hi when you get down here. I would love to talk show a little bit and help you out if there is anything you need to know about the town. If you ever need a hand with the car let me know.

Go ducks! #1 BCS
effutuo101
Wow! new job. Congrats Morgan! I won't be around that weekend or the weekend before. Let me knwo if you get a date change.
Chris
Lou W
welcome to oregon. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
have floor jack will travel. pick the day. gone days right now, give a call one evening when you have the chance. sorry to hear you're moving.

k
mstein95
If your spouses/GFs are anything like mine they will be out Xmas shopping anyways. Come on down.

Thanks for the welcome from the Oregonians. I don't think I own any green/yellow attire so that'll be my first purchase....tax free I might add. aktion035.gif

rhodyguy
enjoy your new state income tax. hehe.

k
JRust
Yes welcome to Oregon soon! I live in Corvallis ( Oregon State Beavers). But I work in Eugene. I won't be driving up to help with the engine (sorry). When you get down here give a shout though. Always nice to add to the Oregon teener base
mstein95
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 31 2007, 06:19 PM) *

enjoy your new state income tax. hehe.

k

Salary negotiations included coverage of this new to me tax burden. Gross pay looks even better with an additional 9% bump.

Jamie - I look forward to joining the Oregon contingent. There will be a big void to fill as the Puget Sound contingent has been a great extended family to me. drunk.gif
mstein95
icon_bump.gif

Just a reminder of the engine swap party. Mark your calendar.

Currently living out of a suitcase at the Vally River Inn. Hope to have a rental nailed down by the end of the week.
Eric Taylor
Welcome home smile.gif. What neighborhood are you looking at?
rhodyguy
so...are we on for sat or sun? sat might work out well as it gives you sun to finish up any loose ends. like get it started. let me know if there are any "damn, wish i had ordered a ____" and i'll dig into the stash before i head down. somewhat early start? that would be ok with me.

k
mstein95
Based on replies Saturday looks like a better day for attendance. Friday my wife and Mother-in-law will be shopping all day so I will be doing a lot of prep work then (add SSI's, ducts, new clutch, pressure plate, pressure, etc).

Eric - Wife wants me to rent a house up on Laurel Hill until we can purchase something. She likes what she reads about the South Eugene schools. Most likely I'll probably end up in an apartment in the Goodpasture Island area until the family comes down in June. Will know later today.

Thanks guys
DNHunt
Morgan

I'm up for Friday and Sat morning. It would be idleal to get the engine in the car Friday so you can do the hook up Sat. Obviously do as much on the engine as you can while it's out of the car. Much easier
JRust
If you need any help unloading down in Eugene shoot me a pm. I'll get you my number & come help. I typically leave work around 5 but have some flexibility. On the housing I like the idea of renting for a bit first. Then you can really get a feel for the area. I only lived there for a year & a half. It is kind of a different town. Not bad but my wife didn't like it so much. So we ended up in Corvallis & now I commute.

Good luck with the engine install. Sounds like fun! See you soon
rhodyguy
fri works for me too. MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!! haha. new job and you're screwing around on the computer. you guys kill me. av-943.gif

k
Mike Knox
Welcome to Oregon!! I'm in Ashland. If sometime you plan to get this far south PM me and I'll be happy to buy you a microbrew or two. beerchug.gif

GO DUCKS!!

Mike
mstein95
OK, OK - Friday it is. Whew - decisions, decisions.

Will post address & phone # next week.

Mike - I will be making random trips to White City (Medford) but not quite to Ashland. If I ever do - you are on.

Mike Knox
Mike - I will be making random trips to White City (Medford) but not quite to Ashland. If I ever do - you are on.
[/quote]

There's a new microbrewery in Medford, so it's a done deal. beer.gif

Mike
Eric Taylor
Morgan - The south hills are great. I lived out there for a year and it was really nice. Quite and close to the country. If you ride bikes or are looking for great 914 drives, the south hills are just on the fringe of miles of great country roads with very few cops. I'll never forget slaming up fox hollow in the 914 this summer. It's just to much fun around here smile.gif.
mstein95
THIS JUST IN:

Today I went and picked up my new exhaust from Dave at Triad. Nice guy. He and I and his friend Eric chatted for quite a while. I mentioned that a few guys (including Dave and Kevin) might be coming down next week to help me swap engines. They said they might come over as well - then Dave had a GREAT idea. idea.gif

"Why don't you bring the car and engine over to my shop and use my lift?" he says. screwy.gif "Much better than lying on your back."

I couldn't think of a reason not to take him up on his offer.
aktion035.gif

So, the engine swap party has been moved to Triad Performance, Lacey, WA. A little bit closer to you northenders. Don't miss this opportunity to meet Dave and peruse his product lines, production process, and take a look at his new 1.7/1.8 mock-up. He also has a couple of new tubs in so bring your want lists.

Might also be a good opportunity to get your own car on the lift for inspection. Of course that will be up to Dave.
rhodyguy
no, no, NO!!! too damn easy. you have to lay on the garage floor. do you have ALL the items for the thowout bearing and arm? clip, pivot ball, 2 plastic items for the arm to t.o.b.? like WHAT TIME?

k

mstein95
I will be driving the car over early Friday (8am?) and then returning to pick up the new engine. So I should be back around 9am.

I think I have everything. I did purchase the kit from Pelican as you recommended. I also pick-ed a few other items not in the kit. I will collect everything and post a list. Even though I have them - not sure I know where they all go. huh.gif
DNHunt
Kevin,

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to save him from the joy of repeated engine drops to fix things he forgot? What is the joy in getting it right the first time? He should be like the rest of us, always working on the car and never driving it. He will never learn the joy of getting off the wannabe list, repeatedly. Let him experience the true joys of 914 ownership.

He needs to know the joy of lowering onto it's wheels and wondering if the bolts on the workbench are extras. He needs to wake up in the middle of the night and think "Oh sh*t I forgot the $#*$)." He needs to wonder if he still has 1 more tow on this years AAA membership. Why save him from these joys? You are just too good of a friend.

Dave
mstein95
You crack me up Dave.

Here is my parts list for the swap:
2.0 Engman muffler hanger
New engine and transaxle mounts
CV bolt tool
CV joint gaskets
Nord washers
Pelican shift bushing kit
New clutch kit
New throw out bearing
2 new throwout bearing guide clips
New throw out arm retainer
new throw out arm bushing
new muffler gaskets
of course the standard Brad Penn break in oil, air filter, spark plugs, misc nuts and washers

Am I missing anything?

DNHunt
The car, the engine, the tranny
PeeGreen 914
Nice, I like Dave's shop. That should make things easier. If you want to give him a nice little bonus he loves Snow cap, and anytime I can bring him some he works for less biggrin.gif I plan on being there unless something weird happens.
dinomium
sorry guy, the sad truth about working IT at a bank is that yes, we get Columbus day off, and NO we do NOT get the friday after Thanksgiving off!

How lame is that, it is like using a lift surrounded by people that know what they are doing kind of lame.
Lucky for you, Kevin will be there. Take that the wrong way I hope. LOL
Have fun guys.
PeeGreen 914
Dino

They are going to work on the car on Saturday I thought. However, I guess that would be the same for you huh?
dinomium
QUOTE(mstein95 @ Nov 18 2007, 08:47 AM) *

I will be driving the car over early Friday (8am?) and then returning to pick up the new engine. So I should be back around 9am.

I am booked either way... I might be able sneak away but I doubt it.
PeeGreen 914
Awwwww... crap... You kidding? I thought it was going to be on Saturday. I am booked on Friday.
Tom
Morgan,
Are you going carbs or FI on the new engine? If FI, do you have a check sheet from Jeff Blowsby to do a continuity check on all of the FI harness? It would be a good time to check out all of the other wiring to the engine also ( 12 pin connector) from the relay board to the points on the engine. Jeff sent me a good check sheet for my 76 and I'm sure if you asked he would send you one for your car. It may even be on his web site.
Anyway, I'm working Friday, but could maybe come down Sat. if you needed someone to help check out your wiring. Let me know and I can bring down some connectors and crimpers to attach new connectors if they are needed. Sometimes cleaning is good enough.
How about new cv bolts? I have two sets from DR. Evil at $20.00 each that I could sell you if you want them. They are the drilled ones for lockwiring. I could order more later.
Tom
mstein95
Tom - its a stock 2.0 with FI. It does have a non-stock webcam. I'll keep you in mind if we have any issues with the FI. As far as the CV bolts - unless they appear to be damaged I will re-use them. Thanks for the offer on the Evil set.
mstein95
Here is my cell # in case anyone needs it - 360-259-0561
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.