Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first evil bay posting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fuch toy

Since the demise of the old 914 club site.....man I used to sell a lot over there....and the slow selling of stuff on this site....YEAH I know the format is anti spam, I have posted my first Evil bay sale.....

I swore I would never do it.....but hey, I said I would never have kids either. I hope I don't get hooked and start selling Mom's jewelry and stuff.

On my third "buy"....I feel like I am buying a baggy of herb..... blink.gif
my bank issued a flawed money order.....it was an error on the teller but they issued a stop on a $8.30 cent MO.....I bought a stupid antique sticker for a gas pump I was restoring. Guy blasted me without even emailing me and asking WTF.......

Put me off the bay for a couple of years.....

Anyone else have any horror stories?
rhodyguy
about 20 emails w/pictures to a guy who "won" a bursch (2.0) i was selling. after he won he wanted to know if it would fit his car ohmy.gif . i sent him pictures of all three style he's. i put the ball in his court and told him to send the money if he wanted it. no sale. bs hassle. had others that went smooth as silk. just an uninformed buyer on the pooched sale.

kevin
djm914-6
I've done pretty well with minimal issues.

I made a mistake early on by not checking which account Paypal was using, and had a payment recalled. I sent again with out realizing that paypay repayed using a debit card. So, the seller got paid twice for a marginal engine lid end refused to send back one payment. Paypal and ebay was no help because he said he shipped the item.

I've had a couple of non paying buyers. Those only cost me to relist the items.

Last auction I won and paid for was not shipped. The seller skipped town and left a lot of buyers with no goods. All acounts were closed, so I couldn't get paypal to refund monies. Only out 15 bucks.

In over 60 transactions, most were smooth and easy.
iamchappy
I have sold 50 or more items on ebay without any problem,
But I have been burned 3 times by private sellers of porsche parts, I never recieved anything and never got refunded, Ebay makes it such a pain to file a claim that I just ate it.
It's always a gamble.
ppickerell
OK, I will admit to evilbay stupidity ar15.gif . There is a pair of Pyle speakers advertised as fitting the 914 grills perfectly wub.gif and I bid $35 against one other bid. I then went on to the internet and found them all over the place for less than 20 bucks unsure.gif . It was a relatively inexpensive lesson. Now if anyone wants to put me out of my misery, the auction is not over yet lol2.gif !
Mueller
I had bid (and lost) on some high-end tools (Snap-On stud extractor set)

The seller had a few sets every couple of weeks and I'd always get outbid for them and then finally I didn't see them listed for a month or so.

One day I get an e-mail from the buyer stating that he had listed a few sets on eBay with a "Buy Now" option...I looked at the ad and did the "Buy Now" since it was a killer deal...

I got suckered big time, on the new ad he didn't mention the brand (Snap On) but the ad was basicly the same ad as before otherwise.

Once I got the tools, it ended up being a Harbor Frieght special,
I think I paid $35 or $45 for a set of tools that I could have bought directly from Harbor Freight for $15 or less when on sale.
It was basicly my fault for not asking what brand and thinking that at that "Buy Now" price I was getting the good quality stuff.

I do feel it was a Bait and Switch deal on the sellers end.
For his feedback, I just left a Neutral response.
boxstr
After 260 buy and sell auctions on ebay, you a bound to have a few horror stories, but nothing that I couldn't deal with. It is after all a place to sell stuff that you want to get huge exposure. You have to figure that there is going to be some moron who bids and then when the auction is over they are bidding on four other items like yours and they will pick the one that is the lowest bid. HELLO.
Figure that you are going to have to answer alot of emails and send alot of pics. The bidder is just looking out for there best interest and you are there to sell them what they want, and hopefully can pay for at the end.
Good luck
CCLINDON'TTHROWTHATAWAYPUTITONEBAY
anthony
I've done a lot ebay selling lately and I find it to be a huge PITA. You will get lots of stupid email questions, a slow payer, and dead beat bidder from time to time.

Each auctions can also easily eat up quite a bit of your time. I only sell stuff where I make a decent amount of money per transaction to make it worth my time. For example an auction could easily suck up 15 to 60 minutes of your time when you factor in taking pics, making the ads, answering the emails, taking the thing to be shipped, etc. So for me I don't sell stuff that sells for $5, $10, or even $20. It's not worth the time and effort.

The only thing I would caution you on is when you take Paypal only ship to the buyers "confirmed" address. Only ship to a non-confirmed address by exception. You lose seller protection if you ship to a non-confirmed address. From those outside of the US I only take money orders (basically cash).

Other than the time involved eBay can be a great way to sell stuff. In many categories, ebay is still a seller's market. People there will pay much more for stuff than they would at swap meets.
campbellcj
I have done around 200 transactions with very few probs. I have found that what you are buying/selling kind of determines the type of people you'll be dealing with. For instance -- toys or video game kind of stuff ==> tons of flakey teenagers and deadbeats. P-car parts ==> usually (-usually-) honest respectable adults.

I lost $40 on a buy auction to a scammer who nailed a number of other people (for a lot more $$ than me) and I think he actually got caught eventually.

I have had several foreign buyers who COULDN'T READ ENGLISH and ignored the "shipping to US only" statement. Usually it worked out OK anyway, cuz they paid up the wazoo for shipping and were in countries with easy customs forms so no real extra hassle.

Once I sold one of those Go-Ped scooters and that auction attracted the deadbeat kids like flies to cow puckies. I think the 2-3 highest bidders were all dumba$$es with screen names like "luv2beatoff". It sold anyway, though.

Only about 50-75% of people seem to leave feedback. I dunno if they don't understand the concept, or are just lazy?

It's a good tool IMHO if you are careful and cover your a$$ with complete item descriptions with pics, and a good email trail after the auction closes.
GWN7
Most part Ebay has been good....only 3 instances where it hasn't....Early on I lost my HD and couldn't retrieve my emails, cost me a couple negative feed backs. Another time I couldn't get down to the US to send a money order (storms & work)

As a seller I sold some boots and one guy complained I ruined his hunt because they haden't arrived in time. I tracked the payment/shipping time frame (shipped the day his MO arrived) and told him only a idiot would buy new boots and take them hunting with out wearing them for at least a couple weeks before going.
Brad Roberts
This happened recently.. we posted to Ebay a SET OF 46 IDA CARBS. Guy wins auction and I ship them literally the next day (they where boxed and ready to go) He recieves them and sends off shitty emails asking where are the intake manifolds ??

READ THE F_ING AUCTION. We specifically said in the ad (large letters) that the manifolds in the pics where not included. The actual ad title even said "46 IDA Carburetors" Not COMPLETE SET OF...

The ad was pro. easy to read.. easy to fully understand. I honestly think people bid on the pictures.

He threatened all kinds of shit.. sue this.. sue that...We sent him the link to the actual Ebay listing twice explaining that we clearly stated what the auction was for. ar15.gif ar15.gif

I'm hesitant to use it again.. but I know it is a GREAT advertising venue. I dont really care if anything sells.. it drums up hits on the websites.

B
scottb
screwed by another once with speakers that weren't as advertised.... no satisfaction.

screwed myself once on a sale by not saying buyer pays shipping. ate that one.

otherwise, i dig it. always looking for a bargain....

like this thing for a transplant to the east....

(west coasters know what this is....)
scottb
shit... pic....
Malmz
Thing that amuzes me is that people always bag on "Ebay Sales". Guess what? It's not Ebay. You get a-holes when you buy and sell in any venue. The difference with Ebay is the feedback which can work to your advantage or against you, it just depends on the circumstances. There are bad buyers and bad sellers from Ebay, regular ads, and retail stores...

Don't get me wrong, I even use the name EvilBay once in a while just for entertainment value...

Only time I have been hosed is purchasing off of Yahoo auctions. They don't require a credit card, as far as I know, to register as a seller. I'll never buy to trade in that venue again. I got ripped for $75 for a Gameboy. The seller's verified Paypal account was emptied and the account was closed. I still have a Yahoo claim pending which will be minus there $25.00 deductable if they every pay it.

I take 100% returns (I don't always advertise it) if the buyer pays shipping both ways just like most of the retail stores on the Internet. I think this helps, because if you do have a problem, you generally won't get bad feedback.

sm (over 400 positive feedbacks, one bad one... asshole...)
Steve
I have had pretty good luck on ebay.
I did learn one nasty lesson.
If you have multiple email addresses and the buyer makes a payment via paypal to an address you no longer have access to, paypal will send the money back to the sender after 30 days.
My email address used to be faddis@home.com.
I sold something on ebay and the buyer made the payment via paypal to faddis@home.com
@home went out of business and I could no longer retrieve the emails.
I forgot the password to my paypal account.
I couldn't reset the password because my @home account was dead.
I got busy and figured no big deal the money will still be there.
Paypal sent the money back after 30 days because I didn't claim it.
Eric Taylor
Man Mikey that sucks, but I feel for you. I won't deal on the bay anymore because of a bad experience with selling an audio mixer. There was a lot of counfusion involved in the transaction, but finally we got the money and shipped the mixer. Everything we thought was going to be alright until I got a letter addressed to Eris Taylor from the state of Oregon. Shit. He was trying to say the he never recieved the mixer, and I took his money. Luckily I had a reciept from the shipping company with a signature for the mixer smile.gif . I faxed that to the state and it shut them um. The real bad part that resulted from this experience was that because the buyer had sent ebay and e-mail compliaing about me, they shut down my account no questions asked. Bastards. Weill I never wan't to deal on the bay again. BLAH.
eriC taylor
swood
QUOTE(scottb @ Dec 30 2003, 04:09 PM)
shit... pic....

Composter??? AH Ha ha ha aha hahahahahah..

sorry. I know a bit more than I should about composting...
Majored in it...3 semesters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.