Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Master Cylinder grommets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roadster fan
Hope someone can help,

Do you install the grommet on the supply tube then insert into M/C or grommet into M/C then push in the supply tubes?

Gonna do this on Saturday and want to make it as easy as possible....I know I have heard it is not easy dry.gif .

Thanks for the help in advance,

Jim
Cap'n Krusty
Grommets into the MC, tubes into the grommets. Virtually impossible to do it any other way. The Cap'n
Hammy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 31 2007, 06:10 PM) *

Grommets into the MC, tubes into the grommets. Virtually impossible to do it any other way. The Cap'n

That's how I did it... Had the MC out of the car as well as the reservoir lines. Was a major PITA.
Thack
It's difficult but not impossible. It's a lot easier than some sites suggest. Just make sure it's fully seated. You can use a small bit of brake fluid as a lubricant on the outside of the seal.
Brando
It helps to apply a little silicon lube on the tube that goes into the grommets. You'll kno you have them in all the way when you feel them *pop* into place.
roadster fan
Thanks for the help! I will let you know how I do.

Jim
Bogaat
I just did this last weekend. I was killing myself trying to push the lines in under the car with the grommets in the MC. I pulled the lines out and did this outside of the car...easier. I took the grommets out of the body, put them on the lines and then pushed them into the MC body. Use a little lube and push it in at an angle. Pushing them straight in seemed impossible. It took me over an hour and a lot of frustration to figure all of this out. It would be easy now...good luck man beer3.gif
roadster fan
Hey Bogaat,

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to pull the lines out from the bottom without removing the fuel tank and then feed them back up after install in the M/C?

Jim
Bogaat
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Nov 1 2007, 02:11 PM) *

Hey Bogaat,

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to pull the lines out from the bottom without removing the fuel tank and then feed them back up after install in the M/C?

Jim

I would say yes. Just pull them from underneath and then feed them back up when all is back together. Lube up the two body grommets with some silicone spray/whatever and you should be able to do it. That being said, I did mine with the tank out because I had the car apart anyway. Worst case you have to find some way to direct the lines (string/whatever) or you pull the tank (bet you can avoid this one). Good luck man beer3.gif
roadster fan
Done. piratenanner.gif I think McMark recently said that removing the wiper arm assembly was one of the top 10 PITA jobs on a 914. Pushing those damn supply tubes into the grommets on the MC is in the top 3 of PITA jobs I have done so far. I really dont want to know what the other 7 of the top 10 that McMark knows of. dry.gif

I ended up taking the reservoir strap off, pulling the lines down a little and then spent 15 minutes (seemed like and eternity) pushing, checking, re-pushing etc. Finally got them in, mounted the MC, installed rebuilt pedal cluster, and then bled the brakes today.

Thanks to all for the help and heads up prior to the start.

Jim
Hammy
Be glad that's done! It was definitely a top 3 PITA job for me too. Funny how something so small and simple can be so difficult..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.