Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside & backside door panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
From my 70/4....original, but nasty on the back. Unless I've missed it somewhere, I've not seen any door panel resto threads. The backside of the panels are pretty grungy, which doesn't surprise, 'cause when I'd slam the doors closed, foam crap would fall out the bottom.

Suggestions? huh.gif
rjames
I've not seen any door panel resto threads.

Me either, other than the threads that show how to recover the door panels.

Is the material that the panels are made of readily available somewhere? Is there a suitable substitute?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 31 2007, 07:16 PM) *

From my 70/4....original, but nasty on the back. Unless I've missed it somewhere, I've not seen any door panel resto threads. The backside of the panels are pretty grungy, which doesn't surprise, 'cause when I'd slam the doors closed, foam crap would fall out the bottom.

Suggestions? huh.gif

Boy, this one won't be easy. You need new backer boards, because yours look pretty rotted & warped. Not sure if you can salvage the upholstery (can't tell by the pics). You obviously need new vapor barriers too.

Haven't seen anything on eBay to replace your originals, though there is a company offereing replacement smooth vinyl upholstery mounted on fiberglass backers. Good idea (in theory) & probably undetectable from the outside, but I know nothing about them. You may want to check them out.

Probably should give "uncle George" a call too. He may have something squirrelled away.

Lotsa luck!

Pat
JeffBowlsby
Interesting thread. On my 74 BB, there is a clear polyethylene moisture barrier. It has an attached polyethylene flap that is inserted into the lower inner door that shed any water to the door cavity, and not onto the interior upholstered panels. Does anyone else have these plastic sheet door liners?
Gustl
my '74 has this clear polyethylene moisture barrier
I really thought all 914s do have it idea.gif

on this photo you could see it - but not very good ...
pin31
I remember seeing two good threads on here:
1. repairing/lubrication door mechanisms and replacing vapor barrior

2. replacing door upholstery/backing board

Both very good threads.
freezing14
I have just finish redoing mine, the hardest part is finding the vinyl but yours is black and flat so it should be easy,, all the early door panel have the metal top, the later one are all 1 piece molded fiber board, since you have the metal top its easy, buy half a sheet of flat fiber board (I think they call it aspenite, the same stuff at the back of furniture) use the old one to cut all the holes and the shape, get soem thin foam in a fabric store for the flat part and 1/2 inch strip for the top , it takes about 3 evening to redo them,, jujst look at my tread at the bottom
car'

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76714
davep
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 31 2007, 10:23 PM) *

Does anyone else have these plastic sheet door liners?

As a matter of fact I have a NOS one in a bag.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 1 2007, 12:23 AM) *

Interesting thread. On my 74 BB, there is a clear polyethylene moisture barrier. It has an attached polyethylene flap that is inserted into the lower inner door that shed any water to the door cavity, and not onto the interior upholstered panels. Does anyone else have these plastic sheet door liners?

I have them on my late '72. They are NOT to be underrated - they actually work & the backsides of my panels were perfect last year. This could be a fairly easily reproduced item. As I recall, the glue used to keep them in place was something very simple, such as rubber cement.

Pat
brer
a diluted white glue + water mixture will seal and protect thick card/paper from deterioration as well. A very thin coat will dry hard and seal very well. I use acid free white glue on my artwork and vintage stereo speakers.
JeffBowlsby
[/quote]
[/quote]

Cool...It would be great to reproduce these. Given any consideration for making a pattern from your NOS part or would you lend it to me to make a pattern?

It does look like rubber cemetn that holds them to the door. A waterbased glue would not last very long...
Pat Garvey
[quote name='Jeff Bowlsby' date='Nov 2 2007, 02:42 PM' post='963051']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Cool...It would be great to reproduce these. Given any consideration for making a pattern from your NOS part or would you lend it to me to make a pattern?

It does look like rubber cemetn that holds them to the door. A waterbased glue would not last very long...
[/quote]

Looks like rubber cement, balls up like rubber cement, but could be some other petro-based cement. However, it sure isn't white glue based. I use dilute white glue by the gallon in my model railroading hobby to hold all sorts of things, with no visiblity. Nice thing about it is, if you want to change something you just spritz it with water & it comes loose. Not something I want to happen to my 914 vapor barriers.

Now, we ALL have old barriers & DaveP has a virgin one that could be used as a pattern for new. Hell, you could make new ones from just about anything heavier than dry clean plastic. I'd like some new ones, just because mine have been moved a bunch of times over the years to lube the regulators.

How 'bout it? Can we get a pattern made?

Pat

pin31
For the vapor barrier use 3mil clear plastic sheet and 3M double side foam tape. Trim with x-acto knife.

Thats it, easy.......
davep
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 2 2007, 03:57 PM) *

Now, we ALL have old barriers & DaveP has a virgin one that could be used as a pattern for new. Hell, you could make new ones from just about anything heavier than dry clean plastic. I'd like some new ones, just because mine have been moved a bunch of times over the years to lube the regulators.

How 'bout it? Can we get a pattern made?

I can make some up. Please PM me with requests.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.