Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I have the transmission out of my 73 while the engine is being rebuilt. Can you guys give me some advice on what I should inspect for and replace. The transmission was working fine when removed about 2 months ago with no leaks, grinding, noise etc. I not sure of it's previous history. Thanks Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(xperu @ Nov 1 2007, 12:30 PM) *

I have the transmission out of my 73 while the engine is being rebuilt. Can you guys give me some advice on what I should inspect for and replace. The transmission was working fine when removed about 2 months ago with no leaks, grinding, noise etc. I not sure of it's previous history. Thanks Mike
\

I actually would not take it apart! Just change the oil with 80/90 weight, and clean it up. If the trans happens to grind into a gear in the future it is easily removed with the engine in the car
Cap'n Krusty
Reasonable advice, to a point. As gear oil doesn't wear out, there's only one reason to drain it, and that's to see what's on the drain plug magnet. If it's quiet and shifts well, why bother? If you do decide to look, then you must remember that trannies with Porsche style synchros use ONLY STRAIGHT GL5. No GL4, No one-size-fits-all oil, no mixtures, and NO ADDITIVES, ESPECIALLY anything touted to contain "moly', or anything that claims to make it "slicker". The Cap'n
Greenguy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2007, 01:40 PM) *

Reasonable advice, to a point. As gear oil doesn't wear out, there's only one reason to drain it, and that's to see what's on the drain plug magnet. If it's quiet and shifts well, why bother? If you do decide to look, then you must remember that trannies with Porsche style synchros use ONLY STRAIGHT GL5. No GL4, No one-size-fits-all oil, no mixtures, and NO ADDITIVES, ESPECIALLY anything touted to contain "moly', or anything that claims to make it "slicker". The Cap'n

What is wrong with moly?
Dr Evil
Moly additives are inappropriate for the type of mechanisms used in the 901 tranny.

I disagree on the changing of the gear oil as there is a vent on the top of the tranny that is not a one way port. It is often that those who have old oil will have lots of dirt in their oil. Plus, it is a great way to begin to diagnose how the internals are doing; If a lot of gold tint in your oil = fork ware, lost bearing cage, lots of metal shavings (there are usually a lot regardless, but..) can mean gear ware, etc.

If it isnt broke, dont fix it. If you must do something, change 1st gear synchro band. I have pics in my tranny thread (link in the bottom here) that may give you some direction. If you end up taking the stack out, take pics (I can direct you) and we can all get a good look at how the guts are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.