Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did my '76 914 come with a cat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Did my '76 914 come with a cat?
Anyone know for sure?
It doesn't have one now, but maybe a PO took it off.
I'm trying to decide if I should put one on before I go in for an emissions test. I'm not to that point yet, but I'm trying to think ahead.
Thanks!
Andy
boxstr
Most 76 914s that I have owned,4, have had cats or a place for them to be fitted. One it was removed and a Cat Test pipe was installed. Just a straight tube and a flange on each end.
If it is not a big deal go to the emissions testing station and let them tell you if you need one.
CCLINDEQ
914zim
Thanks!
What about an air pump? Is this an emissions part?
My car may have had one, because there still is a pulley on my car.
Andy...
boxstr
Yes. The had air pumps.
CCLINDEQ
MarkV
If your car came with a cat there should be a large yellow decal ("CATALYST") next to the VIN decal on the drivers door jamb.
maf914
Supposedly, only 75-76 cars sold in California required cats. All others had the same exhaust system, but with a straight pipe (test pipe) instead of the cat. I think they all had the air pump system.

Mike
914zim
Thanks guys...
So, now I'm wondering, do I need both cat and pump?
I guess I'd prefer to put a cat on, rather than the air pump.
I've heard the air pumps are a bear to find.
Assuming my car didn't have a cat (I don't remember seeing the yellow sticker), if I put one on and skipped the air pump, would it pass emissions? I just may have to try it and see what happens.
I called the testing station this morning and they said my car is required to pass one emission test and then it will be exempt. This is only if I have collectors plates on the car, which I am planning on getting once I get it running decent and register it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Andy...
boxstr
Get collectors plates, do the emission test and then enjoy your time drivng the car. Leave the car as-is for now.
CCLINDEQ
RustyWa
I have an old "seized" air pump, with mounting brackets, that you can have for the cost of shipping. I would be glad to get it out of my garage. Do you have the air distribution piping that connect to the heads? I've got a CAT also. 10$ + shipping.

I thought the sticker by the VIN should say "Non-Catalyst"?
AZ914
I'd check your local laws on those things first. They might not even care, as long as it blows clean.
RustyWa
One other thing, I believe my car does not have the "Non-Cat" sticker. But what it does have is two dummy lights on the dash. One for the EGR counter and one for the CAT overheating/counter. Would a non-cat car have that CAT dummy light?
914zim
My car does have the CAT and EGR lights on the dash.
They glow bright red, now with my mufflers off!
I still need to check for the sticker.
Thanks for the replies guys!
Andy...
RustyWa
If the lights are solid, I think they just need to be reset at the box in the passenger footwell. If the CAT light is blinking and you don't have the overheat switch anymore, you can just jumper the two wires that run down to the CAT and the light will stop blinking.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914zim @ Dec 30 2003, 09:02 AM)
Did my '76 914 come with a CAT?

yes, they did. here's a picture of the one that came with my car:
914zim
I knew that was coming.... laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.