Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot Lap Timer Mounting Location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Hey gang,

I want to mount my Hot Lap Timer in my 914. (Santa said enough of the hand stop watches).... laugh.gif

If anyone has a pic of where they mount the timer, or advice as to where not to mount it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill P.
fiid
I stuck mine on an angle bracket from where the screw hole for the coat (laugh) hook goes, so it pokes out the passenger side window right at the back, next to the headrest.

I got lots of false readings and no useful lap times from my last run at Sears, so I'm interested in any other advice that people have.
brant
I've hesitated to reply because I don't have any useful pictures...

I assumed you meant a mounting point for the receiver piece: if so then I've had pretty good luck with the unit mounted onto the rollbar (zip ties) on the passenger side. Mine is mounted just high enough that it is above the door panel and looking out through the passenger window.

Its worked well in this location, and is at a good height for most senders as well.

In the past I've used an archaic system called the "time machine" that was invented or produced by a friend of mine (years before the hotlap hit the market)...
His system used a sender and receiver in one unit. I mounted it in the same place with good results.
(hey anyone want to buy it for 50 bucks?)

In this location you can roll the window up or down and still have it work... Correction, I could roll the window up, I don't think you'll be doing that anytime soon...

brant
nine14cats
Thanks Fiid and Brant,

I was thinking of mounting the receiver against my roll bar as well, using some sort of "L" bracket. The readout I was going to mount in the middle of the dash where my heater/defrost levers used to be.

It's interesting that you had those funny problems with the receiver at Infineon. I've heard other people say that at Infineon they had problems but everywhere else not....hmmm...

I'll have to bend up a bracket and play around...

Bill P.
fuch toy
Mine is on the passenger side roll bar.
campbellcj
I got the "small" flavor and put the display in the dash hole where the ashtray used to be. It fits nicely.

I just zip-tie the receiver to the rollcage. Sometimes I have to move it to the other side of the car depending where the transmitter is located i.e. if lapping is going CCW past start-finish...I freeload off other peoples' transmitters happy11.gif
nine14cats
I like the idea of the display in the ashtray cutout...very sano laugh.gif

Just go back in from the garage cleaning my rims....got the whole week off to work on the odds and ends on the car....

I'll test fit the stuff in there...

Thanks!

Bill P.
TimT
I just zip-tie the receiver to the rollcage. Sometimes I have to move it to the other side of the car depending where the transmitter is located

Me Too!!

I put the display on the dash where the radio used to live, drilled a coupla holes through the dash, and zip tied the display to the dash...
fuch toy
QUOTE(TimT @ Dec 30 2003, 03:09 PM)
I just zip-tie the receiver to the rollcage. Sometimes I have to move it to the other side of the car depending where the transmitter is located

Me Too!!

I put the display on the dash where the radio used to live, drilled a coupla holes through the dash, and zip tied the display to the dash...

Velcro on glove box...."I" still have a radio.
TimT
My radio is 6 cyl at 7200 rpm laugh.gif

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.