Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a Fair Price for 2.0L and Side-Shift Tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TeenerTim
Hey everyone. I'm going to see a guy tomorrow that has a lot of 914 parts for sale. Among the parts he has are two 2.0L engines and a side-shift tranny with linkage. He says he hasn't thought much about the price. Of course I want to get them as cheap as possible but I don't really need them and I don't want to screw the guy. The condition is unknown but I believe they've been stored in a garage. What would be fair?
Ferg
IMO 2-250 for a tranny that turns but is unknown is fair.

Engine is another story, depends on how complete it is, (fuel injection, tin, brain ect) but if the guy says it was running good when pulled, and I believed him and it looked good, I would say 6-800 would be a good deal for a dry looking runner with everything.

Ferg
TeenerTim
One engine has a single carb and intake installed. The other has the FI installed although I don't know if the brain is there. I guess that brings up the L-Jet vs. the D-Jet issue. Did all 2.0Ls come with D-Jetronic?
sean_v8_914
all 2.0 914s came with d jet. the vw bus and 912 e used L jet. how many bolts hold the intake manifold to the heads? 3 or 4?
TeenerTim
Well I went over to check out the stuff for sale. I bought the side-shift tranny including the entire linkage and shifter for $200. I forgot to bring my shop manual and didn't know how to identify the differences between a 1.7L, 1.8L, and a 2.0L. I remembered that the 2.0L had a 3 bolt intake but the engine he was showing me as a 2.0L had a 4 bolt intake. I checked the engine code when I got home and verified that a GA code is a 2.0L. So my question is what's up with the 4 bolt intake and can I run my L-Jet injection from my 1.7L on this engine?
SLITS
For your 4 bolt 2.0L ...

Someone changed the heads ... they could be 2.0L Bus heads, which might as well be 1.7/1.8 heads.

And, if you have L-Jet on a1.7, either you or someone else changed it too. Yeh, it will work on the engine.

That's it ....
TeenerTim
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 5 2007, 01:12 PM) *

For your 4 bolt 2.0L ...

Someone changed the heads ... they could be 2.0L Bus heads, which might as well be 1.7/1.8 heads.

And, if you have L-Jet on a 1.7, either you or someone else changed it too. Yeh, it will work on the engine.

That's it ....

My 1.7L is stock. I was under the impression that the stock 1.7L system was the L-Jetronic.

Am I also to assume that the Bus/1.7/1.8 heads are junk?
p914
I got a brain and harness for sale for a 2.0 if you need one.
Hammy
Stock injection for 1.7's and 2.0 was DJet. Only 1.8L had LJet.
SLITS
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Nov 5 2007, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 5 2007, 01:12 PM) *

For your 4 bolt 2.0L ...

And, if you have L-Jet on a 1.7, either you or someone else changed it too. Yeh, it will work on the engine.

That's it ....

My 1.7L is stock. I was under the impression that the stock 1.7L system was the L-Jetronic.

Am I also to assume that the Bus/1.7/1.8 heads are junk?

The only 914 built with L-Jet was the 1.8L. All the rest are D-Jet.

Heads aren't junk ... spark plug and port configuration is same as 1.7/1.8 ... also smaller valve sizes. 914 is 41mm & 34mm / Bus would be 37.5mm & 33mm
TeenerTim

Heads aren't junk ... spark plug and port configuration is same as 1.7/1.8 ... also smaller valve sizes. 914 is 41mm & 34mm / Bus would be 37.5mm & 33mm

OK. Maybe the heads aren't junk but I wouldn't want to start building a performance engine using heads with smaller valves.
sean_v8_914
sure you would. they tend to make better cores to build on: less prone to cracking than the infamous 2.0 3 bolt head AKA crakasaurus maximus
914werke
Bottem line is its a mystery engine. blink.gif
GA case would mean it *was* a 2.0 at some point but with the
heads and induction changed I wouldnt bet on anything.
So the Q: should be how much is a mystery eng. worth?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.