Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rain tray in a 3.2 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuck
Do you guys keep the rain tray when converting to a 6? I was under the impression that there could be some fitment issues with later sixes if the tray was kept. I'm going to be putting a 3.2 in mine with the stock injection.
drgchapman
Absolutely no way the rain tray fits. You will have to rearrange the Motronic injection intake to clear the lid latch. There are several ways I have seen this done.

Just Say NO to the Rain Tray
flesburg
If you keep the stock 3.2 air filter housing you do not need to worry about rain. The 914s I have and have had, all leaked water around the windows so bad, that the only rain they were ever subjected to was the rain they were caught out in.

And I would never use a hose to wash them. Might as well take the top off and roll the windows down before using the hose, or a car wash.

Don't worry about the rain tray.
MoveQik
Ditch the rain tray. As you see, there isn't much room.

Chuck
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Nov 2 2007, 11:12 AM) *

How did you handle the lid latch? Any issues with fitment?

I was also planning on using one of the MSDS air filters and ditching the stock airbox.
Chuck
QUOTE(flesburg @ Nov 2 2007, 11:07 AM) *

If you keep the stock 3.2 air filter housing you do not need to worry about rain. The 914s I have and have had, all leaked water around the windows so bad, that the only rain they were ever subjected to was the rain they were caught out in.

And I would never use a hose to wash them. Might as well take the top off and roll the windows down before using the hose, or a car wash.

Don't worry about the rain tray.

I can tell by the amount of rust I am now repairing along the floor and lower inner firewall. sad.gif I believe the interior of my car acted as a swimming pool at one point in its life.
drgchapman
QUOTE(Chuck @ Nov 2 2007, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Nov 2 2007, 11:12 AM) *

How did you handle the lid latch? Any issues with fitment?

I was also planning on using one of the MSDS air filters and ditching the stock airbox.

You will need to use an after market airbox. Don't buy one until you have your intake situated. Room runs out fast. Just a little twist to clear the latch, you'll see..................
Pat Garvey
Why do you think they didn't put rain trays on the "original" sixes?
jim912928
Michael (MoveQik)...can you show us a pic with the lid up?
MoveQik
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Nov 2 2007, 04:36 PM) *

Michael (MoveQik)...can you show us a pic with the lid up?

Yup. biggrin.gif

MoveQik
Other side....

Chuck
MoveQik,

I see the anchors for your harnesses. What belts are you running in your car? Race seats? Backpad? I was looking at some Schroth street legal harnesses as my stock belts are toast. Schroth says they cannot be used on seats with a fixed headrest. I love the attention to detail in your engine bay by the way!! Ahh, hijacking my own thread.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Chuck @ Nov 2 2007, 05:54 PM) *

MoveQik,

I see the anchors for your harnesses. What belts are you running in your car? Race seats? Backpad? I was looking at some Schroth street legal harnesses as my stock belts are toast. Schroth says they cannot be used on seats with a fixed headrest. I love the attention to detail in your engine bay by the way!! Ahh, hijacking my own thread.

Thanks! They are Bell harnesses. You can see more pics HERE

My plan is to replace the seats so I can use 5th belt as well.
John
Here is a bit of a different angle showing how I kept my latch.

There isn't much room, but it fits.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.