Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: undercoat repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
I noticed when my car was on jacks that the rubberish undercoated was coming off in a few places in the left rear wheel well. my approach would be the clean off all loose material, wire brush it, coat with stuff that bings to/stops rust and then cover with some kind of undercoating. is this what you guys recommend? can you recommend the materials i should use?
Korijo
If you do this task, do it right the first time. Instead of removing just the "loose" undercoating, remove all of it. Use brake cleaner to remove the under coat, which leaves original paint undamaged (underneath the goo). OR... Heat w/ gun, torch, etc, and scrape off w/ a putty knife. Then wire wheel, sand, etc. down to bare metal.

Por 15 the bare metal. Undercoat on TOP of the Por 15 (if thats what you want... I wouldn't smile.gif )

This was done with a Propane torch and putty knife.

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Get it off the car and dont put anything back on it. 90% of the sixes I see with undercoating (that get driven) have it bubbling off. The heat from the engine/exhaust make it difficult to keep the coating on.

I seriously suggest removing it all. Undercoating helped the first 20 years of the cars life.. now it hides rust underneath it. I would rather look under a 9146 and see a solid chassis than one with 1 inch thick undercoating on it.

B
RON S.
Here's a couple of pics of what Brads talkin about

Ron
RON S.
I'll remove the undercoat,and cleanup when I get a set of repo flares to weld on later.
Ron
Brad Roberts
It is a ton of work, but when you are done.. man it looks GOOD. I go WAY out of my way to find 914 4cyl cars that have no undercoating. I was told by another 914 guru that all the tubs where undercoated. I have bought 4 cars over the last 4 years that had no undercoating on them. Never had it. Never will.

B
Brad Roberts
Here is what it looks like with no undercoating... stock 73 2.0

B
Aaron Cox
color change car? tangerine -> orange?
Brad Roberts
Nope. Faded orginal paint on top and perfect unmolested paint on the bottom.

B
Andyrew
The rear of my car has no undercoating. The front has a bit, but I started taking off the loose stuff a while ago. I think I took engine degreeser to the back, cant remember. I know I'll be painting it when Im done.

Andrew
Andyrew
Brad that orange teener yours?

Oh and did you find the bag?

Andrew
Brad Roberts
Havent looked for the bag (very little time at the shop over the last 5 days because I have been sick) which is why you see me here.. I dont have to "talk" with anyone. The car belongs to a customer of mine. I sold it several years ago. It is the car in the my avatar.

B
Andyrew
I figured you where busy, thats ok, no rush. I figured it was the same car in your avatar.

Do you own a 914 aside from the 6?

Andrew
Brad Roberts
I only own one 914 right now. Its a 4cyl car and a guy in Missouri is buying it. My wife has a Silver 73 2.0.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.