Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shop primer on replacement panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
So far I have purchased a number of replacment panels and they have all been galvanized. For welding it sucks but for longevity it is probably pretty good.

My question is about the suspension console that arrived with a red shop primer. Since I won't be able to get to the inside without removing it should I rely on the shop primer or blast it off and paint it with weld-thru primer. My instinct says clean it off and paint with weld-thru but then why do they paint the panels with the shop primer? Just to stop flash rust? In the construction world you just paint the finish coat over the shop primer.

IronHillRestorations
I call that red stuff wash primer, and remove all of it before I weld in any replacement panel.
McMark
Be careful of welding galvanized. The fumes created when the zinc burns are toxic. Grinding the galvanizing off the edges, at the least, is a good idea.
obscurity
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 3 2007, 04:43 PM) *

Be careful of welding galvanized. The fumes created when the zinc burns are toxic. Grinding the galvanizing off the edges, at the least, is a good idea.

Thanks for the info. I have been sand blasting off the edges and wearing a 3M mask designed for welding galvanized. And keeping the garage door open at least a little.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.