Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Does anybody know what that port is on the inside of the rear brake calipers? It's right up against the trailing arm (you have to remove the caliper to even see it) and right above the hand brake lever. My left rear caliper is leaking, and I think it's from that port. If I blow air into the right side caliper with my finger over that port, I feel nothing, but if I do the same on the left, I get air out of the port. Does anybody know what this might be and how I may fix it. Brakes are not my specialty. Thanks
Mark D.
Dave_Darling
Do you mean the hole that the adjuster fell out of?

--DD
McMark
Yup, definitely sound like the e-brake adjustment. Eric Shea knows for sure, but I think fluid should not be able to get there, which means you have an o-ring leaking 'deep' inside your caliper. Which means that to fix it you need a full rebuild of that caliper. And you should always work on brakes in pairs. So a set of rebuilt rears will fix the problem.
BMXerror
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 3 2007, 12:03 PM) *

Yup, definitely sound like the e-brake adjustment. Eric Shea knows for sure, but I think fluid should not be able to get there, which means you have an o-ring leaking 'deep' inside your caliper. Which means that to fix it you need a full rebuild of that caliper. And you should always work on brakes in pairs. So a set of rebuilt rears will fix the problem.

Yeah, it's a horizontal, threaded hole just above the e-brake lever, but there's nothing threading into either side. The hand brake was never hooked up as long as I've had the car. I was afraid that I'd need to rebuild the caliper, but it's kind of annoying since that was just done last year, and I don't even think I've put 3k miles on them yet. (odometer doesn't work either)
Mark D.
roadster fan
Is it leaking from the area circled in the pic below?

That is one of the adjusters for venting clearance. The silver nut in the pic is a cover for the port. The adjuster is inside and has an o-ring on it that keeps fluid out of the adjuster port.

Look at this thread for more help, Eric is the man!

Eric Shea rebuild thread

Click to view attachment

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.