Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoke diagnosis: what do ya think?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So my rebuilt 2.7 now smokes like a chimney out the tail pipe (blows smoke rings, too). I have maybe 600mi on it and it didnt always smoke, just on this last long jaunt did it start. So, I noticed the oil level was low...I could have sworn it was full before I left on my last 300mi trip. When I pulled the cap off of the oil tank to check the level (while the engine is running) smoke came out of the filler. This would seem to signal to me that there is much blow back...I am hoping that it is because the rings have not seated, but wanted to know what you all think.
Twystd1
Well... As far as thr rings being broken in. Bout 80% of the ring break in happens in the first 20 minutes of the engine under load. In essence. Your rings are either broken in NOW. Cause if theyre not.....
Ya have to re-hone and install new rings.

IF that is your problem.

Could also be guides.

Could also be you are venting oil back into your intake tract if you have a mechanism to do so in your engine configuration.
(Like PCV or some crank case to intake manifold hose or valve)

Check that first. if no leaky.........

YOU NEED TO DO A LEAK DOWN TEST and figure out if it's internal.

Thats my thinking anyway...

Problem is... You know all that stuff. What do you think is the problem.......??????

Clayton
Dr Evil
I am pretty sure the guides are cool as they were redone when I rebuilt the engine....I am afraid that the rings may have developed a problem sad.gif I dont have the time or money to be fixing that kind of problem sad.gif sad.gif

I guess I will be doing a leak down dry.gif
sww914
I had the same problem with my 2056. Once I put crappy Grant rings in that never seated. The second time with Grant rings, they were beginning to seat but I put synth in too soon and it always used oil and one plug was always wet with oil. 3rd try, Total Seal rings and Castrol dyno, no problems.
Dr Evil
barf.gif head_hurts_kr.gif hitfan[1].gif 331.gif

Can ya tell I am unhappy sad.gif
JPB
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 3 2007, 08:18 PM) *

I had the same problem with my 2056. Once I put crappy Grant rings in that never seated. The second time with Grant rings, they were beginning to seat but I put synth in too soon and it always used oil and one plug was always wet with oil. 3rd try, Total Seal rings and Castrol dyno, no problems.

I had mentioned total seal rings in the past and got a bunch of crap about it. I'm glad to hear that they are what I've heard about them and that those all so wise beehotches feel the egg slide off their face.

Sorry to hear about your engine problem DE. Hope you fix it soon cuz that really sucks. sad.gif
Aaron Cox
did your FI MS project run way rich????

too much fuel = no lubrication = no ring seat?
Dr Evil
Aaron, you may have helped ease my mind. Option #2: My shit was running WAYYYYY rich (CIS has been having probelms). Maybe I can drive it ans see?
type11969
Welcome to borrow my leak down tester, just let me know.

Beyond that, oily plugs, pcv system, hmm can't think of anything else.
Dr Evil
Thanks Chris,
My plugs were nice last I saw, but one was wet. I do need to borrow your setup eventually.
My tank has a direct vent to the intake that puts the oil smoke right into the mix...this is how it is supposed to be. No PCV.
Dr Evil
FYI, I used the recommended Goetz (sp) rings, not the other ones....
Dave_Darling
Overfilling a six-cylinder with oil can result in tons of smoke out the tailpipe. Every autoX school we get one new owner who doesn't realize you have to have the engine running when you check the oil level and overfills the heck out of it. The result is masses of smoke once the engine warms up and the car is tossed around. Always freaks the new owner out... wink.gif

Dunno if this has any bearing on your situation, but...

--DD
TeenerTim
I had the same thing happen to my 2.7 911. It sucked a brand new valve guide. The engine and heads had all just been rebuilt. The smoke wasn't too bad but it happened on the way home from a Rolex 24 at Daytona. I had to buy a case of oil and refill the oil tank every 30 minutes or so for 5 hours.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 5 2007, 01:12 AM) *

Overfilling a six-cylinder with oil can result in tons of smoke out the tailpipe. Every autoX school we get one new owner who doesn't realize you have to have the engine running when you check the oil level and overfills the heck out of it. The result is masses of smoke once the engine warms up and the car is tossed around. Always freaks the new owner out... wink.gif

Dunno if this has any bearing on your situation, but...

--DD

I was one of those people that over filled the tank when not running dry.gif Unfortunately, I figured that out before all this happened, BUT,it did end up spewing a lot of oil into my air intake so maybe I am still burning off the excess when the engine gets hot (I am in doubt, though). When I checked my oil yesterday it was only wetting the very tip of the dip stick dry.gif

I definitely need to do some real diagnostics...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.