Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sloppy shifting... cant get into 1,R
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
THE REAR SET SCREW on the shift rod. Don't be lazy like me and fight with the shifter for a month. This set screw has loosened up on me twice, even after using loctite. Also make sure you clean out the gunk from the cavity in the shift bar. I might have forgotten to do this previously. Before retightening I couldnt get into 1st or Reverse, gates were really sloppy and felt like positions were changing, kept missing gear. Now it's soooo much better, i'm actually happy with the way it shifts once again. (BTW - i have a sideshift, not sure what the config is on a tail shift)

So lesson is.. don't be lazy. Check your rear shift bar set screw. I've had both loosen up on me. Also while you're down there, check the shift bushings, there are so many things that can cause sloppy shifting. My bushing where the shifter enters the rear box is shot as well.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello. I havent posted on here in a few months. Got a new job and just haven't had the time. I have been autocrossing here and there. Car is running really well, it's a blast to drive!

Cheers driving.gif
rhodyguy
they are CHEAP. when new, they come with a small dab of something on the threads that locks the screw. use your old ones to dial in the linkage. when satisfied, replace them BOTH. when one backs out 200 miles from your garage and your under your car on the side of the road , lying on hot pavement, you're screwed. THEY ARE CHEAP! when i bought the last bushing kit, i ordered 2 additional new screws at the same time. they're handy to have around.

k
McMark
small dab of something on the threads

Actually the screw has a small hole drilled in it and a small piece of nylon installed. Think nylock nut, only it's a nylock screw. And there are a lot more of those guys on the car. All the seat belt bolts have the same nylon locking system. wink.gif

But agree.gif , get new ones they're cheap and they work great. IMHO, they are a single use (maybe twice) type of part. Order a few and keep them in the spare parts bin, or in the glove box.
yarin
Yea I remember installing new ones. One if not both loosened up. My shifter goes through abuse periods. It's hunkey dorey now..
angerosa
All the shift bushings are cheap too. Just get everything. I agree, after replacing all the bushings I realized my issue was coming from one of the set screws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.