Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 axle lengths, are there two?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
which years?

- Shorter axles (18.5") used on 911's w/ 915 tranny
- Longer axles (20.25") used on the Carrera or SC w/915 tranny

They must be 25 spline, not 33 also found in late 944 S2 and turbo.

FYI, the Boxster output flanges are offset of center thus the need for unequal length axles...
PRS914-6
Hmmm.....I just measured an axle off a 77 911 with 915 and it was 19 1/8
ajracer
YES, I must say I agree with Felix,
since those are the exact measurements of the axles I
used in my conversion *(with a Boxster tranny)

Allan
Aaron Cox
does the axle length change in relation to aluminum trailing arms vs steel trailing arms?
neo914-6
yes those two are Allan's measurements but haven't found either. The pair of '84 911 axles I recently bought are 19.5" end to end of the axle. It appears to fit the right side but also seems to have a 1/2" longitudinal CV tolerance or else the CV's are badly worn. The left needs to be a 1/2 shorter but I haven't fit it up yet with the stub axle. I have to clean off some of the powdercoating on the hub first. The guy at Parts Heaven said there is only one length axle for the 911. Maybe the other axle must come from a late 944 with 25 spline.

I've purchased 8 axles in my search, most of which I can't use. (One new 930 with 28 spline and big CV's, a pair of early 911 with big CV's, two different length 944 both with 33 spline, and a Boxster axle for auto gearbox). BTW, the 911 100mm 6 bolt CV bolts to the Boxster output flange, no need for 944 CV's.
sixnotfour
check here,
http://www.swayaway.com/Porsche.php
roadster fan
Hey Felix,

I am also very interested in what you find out about the cv shafts. Here is a link for custom axles if you need to go that way. I had a link to a guy in the Sacramento area also but can't find right now.

Driveshaft Shop

The are starting to produce axles for Porsche TT's, look to have experience in swaps also.

Jim
neo914-6
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Nov 20 2007, 09:36 AM) *

Hey Felix,

I am also very interested in what you find out about the cv shafts. Here is a link for custom axles if you need to go that way. I had a link to a guy in the Sacramento area also but can't find right now.

Driveshaft Shop

The are starting to produce axles for Porsche TT's, look to have experience in swaps also.

Jim

Jim,

Allan found two lengths with 25 splines that worked for him but I haven't been able to find them. The axles I found have the correct CV and unless I find a shorter axle with 25 splines, I will have to shorten the left side.

If you have the 6 speed, your output flange may be different. Measure the hole pattern and CV diameter. Allan and I are using the early 5-speed which is Audi based.

My current concern is that my trailer arm toe may be off so I don't want to modify the axle until it is aligned.

I think any local machine shop that modifies driveshafts can shorten the axle...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.