Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel width question? Flares related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I'm a 911 guy trying to learn 914's so bear with me biggrin.gif In the 911 world it's not uncommen for the rear wheels to be wider than the front. In my limited research on 914's it appears that the same wheel width front and rear is common? This past weekend at Rennsport I saw a GT shod 914 running 245/45x16 on all four corners and I assume he was running 8 inch wide wheels. So my question is for GT flared cars is it preferred to run the same wheel width/tire size front and rear? Or is it O.K to run a wider tire in the rear? I had planned on running 225/45 x 17 front and 255/40 x 17 rear as I have these laying around with brand new Fuzions on them. So what's the deal guys beerchug.gif
d914
that will work. standard gt flares take up to a 9 in rim in the rear. The 914 does like front track and or tire upfront for turn in. run a small spacer upfront to give a little extra track up front. The main differece is in general 914's don't like drifting around the track. late brake early gas smooth line... The whole low polar momentum thing
woobn8r
I'm also a 911 guy....Here's my simplified $0.02 (Canadian)

The 911 as a rear mounted engine enjoys a rear weight bias around 40/60 (f/r)ratio. The 914 as a mid engine, is closer to a 48/52 balance...

So...the 914 can get away with keeping all corners the same size tire....Its also cheaper on rotations that way. (although it doesn't matter if it is on jackstands)....

You can run different sizes f/r if you want to set up that way....but I think a lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish. i.e enhanced turn in, oversteer reduction...etc
rfuerst911sc
Thanks guys. I have a set of Borbet 5 spokes in 7.5x17 and 9x17 that I run on my 911 when I'm not running the Fuchs. But I really like the Fuchs for looks,strength and weight these Borbets are quite heavy. But for now when I get my /6 done ( maybe in a year ) I'll put the Borbets on because I have them and the rubber is new. Eventually when the wallet allows it a set of Fuchs or other lightweight 16 or 17 inch rims will be purchased.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.