Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Storage, Northern Michigan Style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
Fresh oil change, new filter.
Full tank of gas with stabilizer.
Battery out, on a tender/minder device.
Tires on "cradles."
Car is in a capsule in a 55 degree insulated, heated garage.
Monthly pest control.
Think it'll make it?

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image A fan and filter keep the capsule blown up at all times.
IPB Image Roll the capsule out
IPB Image Attach the fan and plug it in
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image Looks like a Jiffy Pop popcorn blowing up.
IPB Image What can I say? It's easy taking tons of digital photos!
IPB Image All blown up. Time to undo the red zipper tags in the front on the bottom and add a 914.
IPB Image But first a set of 4 tire cradles. Hopefully no flat spots during the next 5 months.
IPB Image Apparently no other cover necessary.
IPB Image Gotta watch the antenna doesn't poke through.
IPB Image Fully inflated. Hopefully it'll start in the spring!

Paul
jonferns
what did you pay for that, if you dont mind me asking....looks great! -JON
orthobiz
Car Capsule
16 foot: 329 plus 20 S&H
I think the 14 foot would also just make it; the 16 foot has a good safety margin fore and aft, especially with bumperettes.

Tire Cradle
344 plus S&H. Expensive pieces of plastic rubbery things but I think I'll have peace of mind.

Paul
iamchappy
I have been looking into one of these thanks for sharing. I was looking at the 14 footer on sale at Performance for 296.00. How would it stand up to a door opening up against it, would it be saved from a door ding.
Ferg
drooley.gif

Very cool bubble boy. biggrin.gif

Ferg
orthobiz
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 4 2007, 11:24 PM) *

I have been looking into one of these thanks for sharing. I was looking at the 14 footer on sale at Performance for 296.00. How would it stand up to a door opening up against it, would it be saved from a door ding.

The 914 is narrow enough that the bubble pooches out on the sides. I think it would easily stand up to another car door hitting it, but I would probably worry a little that repeated offenses might puncture the bubble.

I think the 14 foot would be long enough, but if it's too short, don't blame me!

Paul
woobn8r
If you put some styrofoam packing "popcorn" in there with a decorative plastic "Santa" or "Frosty" you could have your own Giant snow-globe!
dakotaewing
What happens if your electricity goes out for an extended period of time?
Allan
What, no wash and wax first? biggrin.gif
iamchappy
My kids show no mercy when opening up the car door next to my car. If the bubble pushed back enough it might save a ding, I think of repairing a ding or cracked fiberglass flare way more expensive than the investment of a Bubble.
orthobiz
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 5 2007, 09:43 AM) *

If you put some styrofoam packing "popcorn" in there with a decorative plastic "Santa" or "Frosty" you could have your own Giant snow-globe!

Great idea. The car is small and light enough, I could just lift it and shake it!

Paul
orthobiz
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 5 2007, 10:21 AM) *

What happens if your electricity goes out for an extended period of time?

The company FAQ says:

Q.) What if the power goes out?

A.) The cover will deflate and turn into a regular car cover. When the power returns it will re-inflate in a matter of minutes. We do have a cigarette lighter adapter cord that can be run off of a 12 volt power supply for prolonged power disruptions or for use at car shows.

Who knows? Ask me again in the spring! Knowing me, I'll torture you guys with 100 sequential pictures of the car molting out of its shell...

Paul
Pat Garvey
Cool! No spiders in the spring! I like that!
Pat
sean_v8_914
does it extract moisture from the air it lives in?
orthobiz
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 5 2007, 11:21 PM) *

does it extract moisture from the air it lives in?

No, it basically prevents shifts in humidity/temperature and keeps everything inside the same as outside. They have a unit that can be used outdoors and I don't know if it's different with respect to filtration/dessicants, etc.

You're not supposed to put any dessicant inside. You can put it away wet and it will dry out after a day or two (I didn't test this hypothesis).

Hey Sean, weren't you moving to Michigan at one point? I lost track of what happened...

Paul
73Phoenix20
Geeeez! Something else I need to buy!

But I like it!
Hammy
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 5 2007, 06:43 AM) *

av-943.gif I would so do that...
Wilhelm
Not to hijack your thread, but the sickness has arrived in full and I aquired 4 more cars and need a way to keep them out of the Orregon "monsoons". Thus a cargo container. With double stacking I can do 6 cars, but in this case it will be 5 plus a lot of loose parts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.