Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a 5 spd 901 tail cone will bolt onto a 914 housing right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
if i wanted to throw a 901 tail piece onto a 914 tranny to 'ship', it would bolt right up correct?

if someone were to run a 914 trans with a 901 tail cone, could it be done? reverse gear stack etc are all in the right place right?

just the lack of mounting ears, and the wrong shift linkage correct?
JWest
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 4 2007, 09:18 PM) *

if i wanted to throw a 901 tail piece onto a 914 tranny to 'ship', it would bolt right up correct?

if someone were to run a 914 trans with a 901 tail cone, could it be done? reverse gear stack etc are all in the right place right?

just the lack of mounting ears, and the wrong shift linkage correct?

Yes to all of the above.
Cap'n Krusty
Not really. As I recall, only the 69 mag case 901 or the 70-71 911 covers bolt up. The chill cast trannies have a different shape. The Cap'n
davep
Cheaper & easier to use a 911 tranny in a 911. Using a 914 tranny means the end cover changes, the vent has to be changed, and the ring has to be flipped. Too much work for no benefit. What engine and what gearing requirements are there?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 5 2007, 10:34 AM) *

Cheaper & easier to use a 911 tranny in a 911. Using a 914 tranny means the end cover changes, the vent has to be changed, and the ring has to be flipped. Too much work for no benefit. What engine and what gearing requirements are there?

Uhhh, Dave? Did you READ THE QUESTION? The Cap'n
John
I thought this was just for shipping purposes only to keep the insides on the inside.

The Cap'n is probably right. 69-71.

Aaron Cox
say someone temporarily needed to throw an end cap on a tranny to make it run......

yep krusty, the AL case trannies have a thinner INT plate, and a different pattern.

so it has to be a 69-71 tranny ...a 901....

and does the speedo drive come straigh out towards the cab (in a 911 install) or does a 911 use an angle drive also?

jd74914
But don't 70-71 911s have the 911 tranny rather than the 901?

Is that an internal/casting difference, or does it just denote the fact that they have a push instead of pull clutch?
JWest
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 5 2007, 12:18 PM) *

Not really. As I recall, only the 69 mag case 901 or the 70-71 911 covers bolt up. The chill cast trannies have a different shape. The Cap'n

I once converted a 68 912 four speed (alum case) car to a 5-speed using a 914 gears, mag case, and intermediate plate with the 912 shift forks and nose cone (yes, I flipped the ring gear).

The cast aluminum trans has a thinner intermediate plate and a longer case to make up for it, but the nose cover is still interchangable. There may have been a minor change in the pattern with one bolt or something, but it was not a major issue from what I remember. It was a long time ago (20 years), but that car is still running around with no problems...
JWest
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 5 2007, 02:12 PM) *

and does the speedo drive come straigh out towards the cab (in a 911 install) or does a 911 use an angle drive also?

It uses an angle drive in order to make it point straight forward.
Aaron Cox
thanks for the info fellas!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.