Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wilwood Rear Parking Brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Van914
Has anyone checked out Wilwoods Combination Parking Brake Caliper? It is a radial mount and has a 34mm bore. Might be a great way to get bigger brakes and keep the parking brake. Now if I could only source the brackets to mount to the tarailing arm.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipe...3-cpb/index.asp

Van914
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Van914 @ Nov 5 2007, 06:20 AM) *

Has anyone checked out Wilwoods Combination Parking Brake Caliper? It is a radial mount and has a 34mm bore. Might be a great way to get bigger brakes and keep the parking brake. Now if I could only source the brackets to mount to the tarailing arm.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipe...3-cpb/index.asp

Van914

This is a single-piston, sliding-action caliper. Detroit uses this kind of caliper because it's cheap. It's also crap. You're better off rebuilding your OE twin opposed-piston caliper.
Aaron Cox
marty at MSDS was going to use a wilwood spot caliper to bolt on as a parking brake....
andys
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 5 2007, 11:18 AM) *

marty at MSDS was going to use a wilwood spot caliper to bolt on as a parking brake....

Aaron,

I used one of those mechanical spot calipers on my set up.

Andys
ClayPerrine
You are going to find out what we already know. If you set the brake with the rotor hot, it won't release when it is cold. Mike Floyd had this setup on his 914, and he had to beat the calipers with a hammer to get them to release in the morning.

He now has a 911 style park brake.
jhadler
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 5 2007, 11:57 AM) *

You are going to find out what we already know. If you set the brake with the rotor hot, it won't release when it is cold. Mike Floyd had this setup on his 914, and he had to beat the calipers with a hammer to get them to release in the morning.

Well the obvious thing would be to not set the brake when it's hot. If you think the brakes are anything more than -warm-, don't set the parking brake. Not only can the pad bond to the rotor, or the piston overheat and seize, but the rotor can warp and/or crack. If the brakes are hot, park it in gear and leave it. Better yet, drive around easy 'till the brakes -are- cool.

-Josh2
andys
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 5 2007, 12:57 PM) *

Clay,

Do tell more. I haven't got my car on the ground yet, so you have my attention. Are you refering to the spot caliper, or the Wilwood combo unit?

The combo units have been used on many thousands of American and I believe some foreign cars. Do they really have an issue with pads sticking to the rotors? I haven't heard of this before.

Andys

GS Guy
You guys might be interested in this little gem - IPS mechanical caliper.
Got a set of these showing up this week and I'll be shelving my Wilwood mechanicals.
To tell the truth - I'm surprised the Wilwoods don't bind or jam up anyway - the movable pad is basically just sitting loose in the caliper, with a loose steel plate behind it and loose pin behind that! Only careful adjustment on the rotor keeps this stuff from falling out! On top of that the sliding mount arrangement leaves much to be desired, IMO. Marty has apparently worked out the major issues with these - but once I saw these IPS calipers I knew for sure I wouldn't be using the Wilwoods! No comparison IMHO. The available mounting bracket (shown) contains a spring feature to keep the pads from dragging on the rotors when not in use. Integral sliding pins provide the necessary "float", and they bolt on just like a hydraulic caliper. They're sweeeet!
http://www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Services/Parking%20Brake.htm
Jeff

Click to view attachment
andys
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Nov 5 2007, 04:14 PM) *

You guys might be interested in this little gem - IPS mechanical caliper.
Got a set of these showing up this week and I'll be shelving my Wilwood mechanicals.
To tell the truth - I'm surprised the Wilwoods don't bind or jam up anyway - the movable pad is basically just sitting loose in the caliper, with a loose steel plate behind it and loose pin behind that! Only careful adjustment on the rotor keeps this stuff from falling out! On top of that the sliding mount arrangement leaves much to be desired, IMO. Marty has apparently worked out the major issues with these - but once I saw these IPS calipers I knew for sure I wouldn't be using the Wilwoods! No comparison IMHO. The available mounting bracket (shown) contains a spring feature to keep the pads from dragging on the rotors when not in use. Integral sliding pins provide the necessary "float", and they bolt on just like a hydraulic caliper. They're sweeeet!
http://www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Services/Parking%20Brake.htm
Jeff

Jeff,

Everything you say about the Wilwood spot is correct. Everything just sort of flops around. It's a take off of the original Hurst-Airheart spot caliper. It's surprising that no attempt at improving the design was ever employed (after some 40 years).

That IPS unit indeed looks real nice, though it's double the cost. I would have rather designed around it if I had known at the time.

Andys
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 5 2007, 04:40 PM) *

Clay,

Do tell more. I haven't got my car on the ground yet, so you have my attention. Are you refering to the spot caliper, or the Wilwood combo unit?

The combo units have been used on many thousands of American and I believe some foreign cars. Do they really have an issue with pads sticking to the rotors? I haven't heard of this before.

Andys

This is the Wilwood spot caliper. Wes Hildreth put a set on Mike's car with the Boxster rear calipers. It worked fine, but the calipers would lock up and not release. It was determined that the caliper was shifting in its bracket as the brakes cooled down. They even had a huge release spring on it to try to get it to release. No bueno, it never would work right.

Aaron Cox
simple to just do a 911 drum parking setup smile.gif

a little grinding, some minor welding, and some parts scavenging.
Eric_Shea
simple to just do a 911 drum parking setup

a little grinding, some minor welding, and some parts scavenging.

And I just so happen to know a very handsome dork who has a set for sale, all plated and polished to look like brand spank'n new... idea.gif
Aaron Cox
mine arent for sale... nor are they plated....

but your wife thinks i am handsome smile.gif
andys
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 5 2007, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Nov 5 2007, 04:40 PM) *

Clay,

Andys

This is the Wilwood spot caliper. Wes Hildreth put a set on Mike's car with the Boxster rear calipers. It worked fine, but the calipers would lock up and not release. It was determined that the caliper was shifting in its bracket as the brakes cooled down. They even had a huge release spring on it to try to get it to release. No bueno, it never would work right.

Well since I aready have the Wilwood's mounted, I'll give em a try. I have a complete Carrera suspension to rob the parking brakes from should I encounter problems.

Thanks for the heads up.

Andys
Eric_Shea
mine arent for sale... nor are they plated....

but your wife thinks i am handsome

Mine are...

and no, she doesn't. bootyshake.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.