Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It ran when I left for school
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
So I left in summer for vacation and school and my teener was running just fine. I cleaned out the tank, replaced everything, and tuned the engine. It was doing just fine.

So it seems my teener luck has gone downhill. A windstorm wrapped our canopy garage thing around the teener, scraping and scratching up the car. And when my dad tried to start it up to take it to the body shop, it wont hold an idle. It starts to fire and dies. He can pump it and give it gas to get it to run at about 2 -3K rpm, but then dies. He has to 'rev the piss out of it' to keep it running, and it's backfiring sometimes. It sounds like fuel starvation, but I just cleaned the gas tank, and put in a new filter.

Any ideas? It had only sat since I left, nothing done to it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Nov 5 2007, 09:12 AM) *

So I left in summer for vacation and school and my teener was running just fine. I cleaned out the tank, replaced everything, and tuned the engine. It was doing just fine.

So it seems my teener luck has gone downhill. A windstorm wrapped our canopy garage thing around the teener, scraping and scratching up the car. And when my dad tried to start it up to take it to the body shop, it wont hold an idle. It starts to fire and dies. He can pump it and give it gas to get it to run at about 2 -3K rpm, but then dies. He has to 'rev the piss out of it' to keep it running, and it's backfiring sometimes. It sounds like fuel starvation, but I just cleaned the gas tank, and put in a new filter.

Any ideas? It had only sat since I left, nothing done to it.

head temp sensor failure??
BahnBrenner914
Would a heat temp sensor just go out while the car was sitting? I checked it this summer when I was troubleshooting everything and it seems it was working.
Katmanken
Is it colder now?

Sometimes electronics have intermittent failures that show up when colder or hotter. I usta use a can of spray chiller on circuit board components to shock the offending component into not working.

Check the sensor. It has a different rated output depending on the temperature. I would recommend removing it and checking the performance at different temperatures. Requires a volt ohm meter, a freezer and a heat source. Mom or dads digital thermometer is a plus too.

Ken
Dr Evil
Did the wind storm come with rain? Did your engine stuff get wet? You could have a number of things, start simple.
rhodyguy
if it was the storm we just had a few weeks ago it rained like crazy. perhaps condensation in the dist cap? have your pop use a water displacement product inside of the cap and see it it helps. is your raintray in place?

k
BahnBrenner914
Yeah, this would probably be easier if I was back home to work on it, instead of here in Indiana. Thanks for the tips, I'll pass them on to my dad and see what happens.
BahnBrenner914
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.