Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AApistons and cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
!!!!!!Sorry if this had been asked before!!!!!

I've run into a big snag on my 1.7 build. The pistons I have are not the greatest. I was going to use them and now have second thoughts.

The only thing avail in the domed top 90mm are avail. from AA.

I've heard the QC is questionable and Jake is not crazy about them but I'm in a pinch.

So who's using them?

Thank's, Keith
sean_v8_914
I got about 2 years out of them. they slap like mad when cold but once warmed up there OK. I'm starting to have blue white puffs under severe load (AX)./ I looked 4 months ago and they were already glazed up nice. Since I'm a cheap SOB, i did not even hone & re-ring it. the other explanation I give is that I wanted to know how long Taiwan's finest would hold up. next time it will be KBs and German cylinders.
toon1
have you AX'd them since day one?

How many miles on em?

They will be going on my DD.
Twystd1
Have you considered looking for a set of stockers and simply getting the cylinders honed and pistons re-ringed...?????

And since you are MSed. Why not bigger P&Cs?

Clayton
toon1
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 5 2007, 09:27 PM) *

Have you considered looking for a set of stockers and simply getting the cylinders honed and pistons re-ringed...?????

And since you are MSed. Why not bigger P&Cs?

Clayton

Stockers are what I have right now. It's real hard to find a good set used domed 90mm Mahle.
The set I have right now had to be knurled and one of them, the top ring groove is not too good

I probably should have gone with a bigger motor, being parrts are easier to find, I had all the 2L parts but sold them off for this build.The car had a 1.7 origanally and I wanted a gas meiser for a DD.

I spoke with Jake today and after the conversation I thought, hhhhmmm, maybe bigger is better. He said he has a super 2l that will get 50mpg.

I'm prety far along with this build now, the only other option is 1.8 but again, parts are tough to find.
Jake Raby
I spoke with Jake today and after the conversation I thought, hhhhmmm, maybe bigger is better. He said he has a super 2l that will get 50mpg.

It already has..

But creating it is very difficult and more expensive than a 200HP fire breather.
toon1
Hey jake, you mentioned that the AA pistons use 1.5mm compression rings and they are grant rings.

Is it possible to open up the ring groove to accept different rings?
E-Man
Is the other reference to NPR brand P&C's? -Mike
HAM Inc
The super 2.0 is cool as poop! It would make an awesome dd in a 914 with the right gearing. I would love to know what kind of milage it would get with the 914's aerodynamics and perfect tuning.

Jake and I have put a great deal of effort into this combo. I hope gas doesn't get more expensive, but if it does this would make a good compromise of power (it's no 200hp monster, but it's no slouch either) and mph. And if gas does get more expensive I suspect this combo will become more popular and see us doing even more development.
toon1
What do you guy's think about opening up the ring grooves in the AA pist. to accept different rings?

What are the detailes on the super 2L, or is it super secret? biggrin.gif
G e o r g e
Super 2 ltr thread

Brando
I thought AA only made cylinders? I bought the AA Cylinders (96mm) and Keith Black pistons for my 2056 from Jake. Only install issue is that the cylinder fins seem to be brittle compared to OEM Mahles (broke a tip of a fin off during install).
toon1
Did some more P coating tonight. P coating is fun and super easy. I actually look forward to doing it. There is a definite advantage in the fact that you can coat a part, bake it and 30 min. later it's on the car and ready to use. biggrin.gif
toon1
It sucked to have to put on crappy looking trailing arms but they will get the cheezy cool chrome P coat after the car is painted.

It all went together good and the car is on all fours after 6 months.

The trunk and the outside will be getting paint after duck season

Since I am waiting on engine parts, the interior is next!
toon1
SOB!! I put these on the wrong thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a way to move these to my other thread??
brer
Leave the trailing arms black. beer.gif

My 57' A coupe would get 45mpg on the freeway.

confused24.gif
toon1
Is there anyone who could answer the ? about opening up the ring grooves on the AA pist. to accept a better ring set?

Brer, not sure why your confused about your 57 getting 45mpg.LOL
jd74914
Keith, maybe you can ask on the STF . . . I'm sure a bunch of people over there have tried the AA stuff.

And I agree with Brer; paint the trailing arms flat black and let everything else get the attention.
Jake Raby
The radial depth of the AA piston is the critical dimension that could not be altered.. The lands can be opened up, but not the depth.

The only AA parts we use now are the bare cylinders and a portion of what we receive is tossed due to quality issues. we bitched loud enough that they changed the casting of the cylinders and now atleast they have went back up in quality..

If there was any other choice at all I wouldn't even stock the stock 1.7/1.8 sets that we still carry. I warn each and every customer that they should not expect 100K out o0f the parts, maybe not even 1/2 that.
toon1
Thank's Jake, that was the excact answer I was looking for. Thank you!

I've made a decision to run the pistons I have right now and have a custom 90.5 or 91mm set made in the future. I can find cyl's O'plenty that can be bored to fit good pistons.

I'm being a stubborn SOB about sticking with the 90mm's(not sure why, probably the same stubborness that tells me I can make a reliable 914) and it's causing me greif but 90mm is what I want.

Thank's, Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.