Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ME vs. Dellorto: I WIN! +advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
I've been wrestling with a set of 40 DRLA's I bought off Ebay from ALFA1750 a couple months (seems like years) ago.
first: He's First Rate! I would definitely buy from him again- After I got the carbs he even boxed up and sent me different venturis, jets, and gaskets for practically nothing! AND emailed me several times with advice on getting these right.
Anyhow, the carbs are in very good condition, but had a problem running- VERY bad backfiring, no power from one carb...etc etc... AFTER installing 34mm vents/135 mains/.2 emulsion/55pump jets/60 Idles AND replacing the bent mixture screw and o-rings to the 2ndary vents I eventually pulled out the plugs that HIDE the air-correction screw. Turned the screw OUT 1/2 turn- whammo! I guess that was it. Back on the road sand this thing rips!
If anyone ever has a chance, my vote is UPGRADE from 36mm dell's to the 40's- VERY big difference. Also a decent difference from 30mm vents to 34mm.
I had to pick the brains of some experts out there and want to say thanks too!
Regards,
Robert O

P.s. 914's RULE in the snow! If only it was this slick out in the summer!!
Brad Roberts
I dont think I have ever seen them "covered".. shoot a pic of this. Normally they have a small 7mm nut jam nut on a "stud" that has a screwdriver slot for adjustment.

B
914ghost
I will send a picture next time I take the carbs off...(hopefully never!), My 36's have the 7mm nut/screw setup, but the 40's came with freeze plugs where the screws SHOULD have been. I was told the screws are factory set and they dont want you messing wid'em.
I figure the carbs originally came off a Fiat or (were they downdraft?) ...?

And I dont mean 36's suck, theyre great on my VW truck, but the 40's (w/34mm vents) are a surprisingly big improvement, its rev's real REAL smooth up past 6000 rpm- I honestly think I can hear the cam now at Idle- I may not need to tear the engine down to swap the cam. I think its already been done.
I hope I dont jinx myself w/ all the happiness!
R O
Brad Roberts
These must be "new" Dells. I have used quite a few 40's in the past.. none of them where covered.

Glad you found the issue.. drive it.

B
rhodyguy
please show a picture of your single cab.

kevin
Air_Cooled_Nut
I agree -- I have 40's on my 2.0L Squareback and they are quite nice.

IPB Image
rhodyguy
wow!!! sharp engine. i like t3's. i have to ask, please tell about your ignition setup. maybe a dif thread. is something like that t4 compatible? i like seeing other setups.

kevin
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 30 2003, 05:12 PM)
wow!!! sharp engine. i like t3's. i have to ask, please tell about your ignition setup. maybe a dif thread. is something like that t4 compatible? i like seeing other setups.

kevin

Compufire Distributorless system. Kicks ass smilie_pokal.gif Yeah, it'll easily work on a 914.

More info on my T3 here.
914ghost
Oh yeah,
heres the truck...aint she beautiful!
88K original miles...DELUX $72 engine rebuild- including: Used everything, new pushrod tubes/seals, new main bearings. Old 36 Dell's from 914.
Lowered via the tried and true "torsion bars in the garbage" method. No Shocks.
Its on RAILS!
Guess what I got for Christmas..?
a GALLON of POR 15 and a paint-on truck bedliner Kit.
And YES for some reason it has the 5-lug Fuchs and my 914 has 2Liters.
I guess Adapters are cheaper than a correct 5 lug conversion.
Rock ON! aktion035.gif

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
The 80's paint stripe does it for me wub.gif

Must ride like a log wagon.

B
Jake Raby
First key about dells:

NEVER buy the carbs that came off of Fiats!
The entire set up is incorrect!
914ghost
Jake-
I dont know for sure the carbs came off a Fiat, I just dont know what other cars would have had DRLA's and since they came from a guy in Italy...it seems like a likely source.
Are the actual carb bodies different? They had the enrichment device (deleted), but they are DRLA's, so isn't jetting the issue?
And for the price he sells them for I can still buy the update kits and be way ahead.
Without buying NEW carbs I could (and have) run into much worse problems than I have with these.
_R O
mharrison
I have a set of these, what did you do about the enrichment device? Mine is just there and disconnected. Did you have to drill and tap your top plates for the filter housings? Mine only had studs on the outside. None on the inside.

Matt
914ghost
Matt,
heres the picture of my carbs:
IPB Image

The guy I got the carbs from supplied me with two block off plates for the enrichment device linkage, the inner stuff is still there. You can see the plate there on the side of the carb.
Also, my carb bodies have 4 studs in them, the top plate has 4 matching holes- the top of the carb is attatched with the 5 slotted screws and the 4 studs hold the air cleaner bases/velocity stacks on.
I'm not sure how they could be different...thats the basic dellorto/weber design I think.
mharrison
Good looking set up. I like the way you ran your fuel line. You may want to cut an extra inch of fuel line and split it to make a sleeve where it runs through the intake manifold hole. I'd hate to see that rub a hole in the fuel line.

Well, I had to drill and tap mine for the standard weber/dell filter housing base plate, but that's all done now and wasn't a really big deal. I just had to find a bottoming tap rather than a tapered one. I thought this was a little odd myself. I'll have to contact Alfa and get the plates to block the enrichment linkage. I've also got two dual banjo fittings for fuel. Any idea where I can get a single? I'm running standard fuel line and all the fittings I find are for AN line.

Matt
DuckRyder
That pickup is SWEET!

wub.gif
Maine914
Mine have those air correction plugs, too. How'd you get them out? Mine seem welded in there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.