Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 86 Carrera front suspension will bolt in right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
angerosa
See one on ebay now. it ends this hour so doesn't look like it's gonna sell??? I see wheel spacers and add says it comes with calipers even though not pictured.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911...bayphotohosting

anyone have any advice about dealing with weekendrides.com?
davep
Looks like it should fit without problems.
shadygrady
I have dealt with Rick at weekend rides before. He is a straight shooter. I have a 1983 front end in my track car. It bolted in but there are a few differences. I have some holes in the wheel well that are not used now. I believer the newer suspensions are better. In another car we used an early 70's 911 front end, and it was a direct bolt in. Some more experts ought to chime in here.

good luck.
PhoenixINX
I'm going to play the newb... and ask what the biggest differences are?

Can you do only the suspension, without going to the five bolt hub?

What would I gain?
drgchapman
I have two 86 Carerra front ends in 914's. You'll like it, but you might want to run smaller torsion bars for a softer ride for a stret car. 5 lug is the biggest gain, then the different custom shock cartridges for the struts.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(PhoenixINX @ Nov 6 2007, 07:38 PM) *

What would I gain?

A weak link?
drgchapman
I just looked at the auction. To much $$!!!
I paid $225 for the first one and $300 for the second one.
They're over $500 and the reserve isn't met yet, I'd hold on this one.
drgchapman
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 6 2007, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(PhoenixINX @ Nov 6 2007, 07:38 PM) *

What would I gain?

A weak link?

chair.gif

av-943.gif

Root_Werks
I dunno, $500 for actual carerra stuff seems okay to me unless there is a surplus of front suspension parts? Carerra is the way to go. You get the wider caliper/rotor combo. On a street 914, they'll never overheat. I used the Bilstien dual tubes on mine which are the only strut actually made just for Porsche. Perfect for a street car. My 914 never bounces over anything but never leans or dives etc.

Great set up for a 914. If you don't get this one, go find one. wink.gif
Eric_Shea
I just looked at the auction. To much $$!!!

I agree with Gary the Evil Speeder.

No calipers and $600 did not meet the reserve? La-Ter.
angerosa
Thanks guys - auction ended - final bid was $600 and reserve was NOT met. I could always call them directly and see what they want for one. I have made the decision that front suspension was one thing I will do this winter.
Allan
As far as I know (everything I know has come from this board), everything up to '89 should work fine.... drunk.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks guys - auction ended - final bid was $600 and reserve was NOT met. I could always call them directly and see what they want for one. I have made the decision that front suspension was one thing I will do this winter.

What are your aspirations with this car?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2007, 08:15 PM) *

What are your aspirations with this car?

That is a very good question. Your driving will reflect a lot on what your car might have or need to sustain said driving. biggrin.gif
angerosa
Eric - I have my eye on your stuff too. Probably will come to you for rear suspension work.

I don't want a track car but I want something I can take to DE twice a year and drive dependably on the street for the rest of the time. I don't need to have the best most expensive components but the stock breaks are something I hate the feel of right now. I want a larger rotor, caliper and 5 lug.
Chuck
I've corresponded with Rick at Weekend Rides a couple of times; seems like a straightshooter from the couple of e-mails we exchanged YMMV.

I purchased a complete Carrera front end: steering rack, aluminum crossbar, Bilstein struts, hubs, rotors, calipers, underbody antiroll bar for $450 plus shipping. I felt like I got a pretty good deal based on prices I've seen elsewhere for this.

I will be using Eric Shea's (PMB Performance) 5 lug trailing arms when the time comes to put my project back together. Good luck with the search.
jaminM3
I was watching that auction too, but the money was too much. Where are the best places to get these?? Ebay only has one every couple weeks and not always Carrera... sad.gif

Eric, any local source?? What ever happened to the Porsche Junk yard up on Beck street in North Salt Lake? I went to European wrecking in Orem and they are clueless wacko.gif
Root_Werks
I know this probably doesn't mean much, but I can still get the Bilstien dual tubes NEW for $600 each. Yeah, that's $1200, but they are new. Only strut inserts and assemblies but still new. That is what I did on my 914. New struts, new calipers, new rotors, used hubs. Little spendy, but it's all new. Nice to know you can still get everything new.
Eric_Shea
I don't want a track car but I want something I can take to DE twice a year and drive dependably on the street for the rest of the time. I don't need to have the best most expensive components but the stock breaks are something I hate the feel of right now. I want a larger rotor, caliper and 5 lug.

If you hate the feel of stock brakes then they are probably in need of a little (a lot of) attention. A fresh set of 914 brakes should throw you through the windshield. In true Porsche tradition, they're about 3x the brakes most car companies would have used. They've been driving 914's around dependably for almost 40 years and a good set will outstop most everything in the showroom today.

Under the driving requirements you listed, once the wheel and tire lock up... the brake has done it's job and should be taken out of the equation.

Carrera rotors and calipers are a waste of time and precious money on anything other than a wide body car. That money could be spend on awesome tires, mild sway-bars and adjustable Koni shocks.

Given your driving requirements I would stay stock and make sure everything is working in tip top condition, otherwise; let the avalanche begin:

Carrera Front End = $600
Calipers = $150
Caliper Restoration = $249
New Rotors = $150
Good Pads = $30-$130
Wheels = $800
Tires = $300-$700

Talk to more people here who have both street and track cars (Brant for one can give you great advice on this subject). Go watch an HSR "2 Liter Classic" event, watch the 914 wide body -6's smoke everything in the field... check out the 20mm vented rotors and S-Calipers... report back your thoughts. These guys push those cars harder in 10 minutes then 99% of us would do "all year"

After you do that, it's extremely difficult to justify writing a check for a bare bones $600+ dollar Carrera front end for a narrow bodied 914.

I'm not trying to come across as a dick (which means I probably am), it's just that every now and again we seem to need a wake up call on 914 brakes. Check the "Classic" threads. Our dearly departed James Montibello wrote an excellent article on the subject.

Yes, you can put any caliper you want under a 914 as threads here prove. I admit, I remember the days when I had subscribed to the "it's bigger, it must be better" philosophy. Hey... they look cool too! In the end, in comparable cars, with the same tires, wheels and pads, they will stop in the same distance.

I hope that helps save some people some money.

Ben, eBay or these type of classifieds are the best source. I would look here (pelican, etc.) first as eBay can get a little stupid with uneducated buyers bidding up items beyond a reasonable limit
angerosa
Eric,
Thanks for the input. Good advice. I do think I want flares eventually but need to get other things in line before that happens.
Aaron Cox
what a dick!
"how much to ship?"

- if you have to ask, you cant afford it!

gee....
angerosa
I know I kinda thought that too.

I expect around $100 but wouldn't want to buy and find out it was $300 so that statement alone kind of kept me from bidding on it.
sww914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 7 2007, 11:38 AM) *

what a dick!
"how much to ship?"

- if you have to ask, you cant afford it!

gee....

agree.gif
Chuck
I went back and looked . . . my Carrera front end was $400 and the shipping via FedEx Ground was $116 from southern CA to my place in MN. Total price was $516 shipped for mine. Again, YMMV but I felt it was a good price for what I got. And, I would strongly suggest following the brakemeister's (Eric Shea's) advice on brakes. I've contacted him numerous times with newb questions and he's never led me wrong!

My setup will be going on a widebody 914 with a 3.2 6 going into it.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 7 2007, 07:07 AM) *

<snipped to save bandwidth>

Eric, nothing wrong said there at all. Lots of 914 owners need reminding of what our little cars can do in certain forms. I agree with widened cars/larger rotors and the limitations of tires sticking to the road. I have been told you can never have too much braking power. True, but if you don't need it, why buy it? Good information, thanks for the input. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.