Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
My name is Fiid, and my car is REALLY LOUD!

(The first step is to confront the problem).

So - I am thinking of laying out for a new muffler. I like the look of the 4 tip ones that pelican has, and they look like they might be able to handle the flow of the the twin turbo engine, so I was thinking of ordering one of those up.

I have a 1.7, that is going to be replaced with a twin turbo subaru sometime this year. I am looking for an interim solution, but one that would work after the switch would be better still.

Is the Dual Exhaust better than the Bursch??

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
rhodyguy
what will the exhaust pipes look like on the sub? will a 914 muffler system even bolt up?

kevin
Andyrew
No he has to fabricate an exhast. I would go with something other than 914 related fiid, There are some very nice sounding mufflers out there that will make a subaru engine sound a whole heck of alot nicer than a 914 style muffler. But hey do what you want. If you wanted to stick with a 914 is look and you wanted those quad tips, I have a monza exhaust, that is very loud, and I think its alot more free flowing than the Bursh, and will produce the flow that the turbo's need to spool up faster. Hmm maybe I'll put it on my car just for the heck of it for a while... Hmmmm

Andrew
Aaron Cox
SOMEONE MAKE A FLOWMASTER FOR A /4. boldblue.gif

2 in 2 out please....just like the one B made for a six. welder.gif
fiid
I will have to fabricate the tubing from the engine to the back, but I kind of like the idea of keeping the stock muffler bolt-ons so that I can replace the muffler without having to get the welder out :-).

Is the 4tip the same as the Monza? Who would you order it from?

(BTW... right now I have a leaking 12" cherry bomb. I'm sure the monza is quieter :-) ).
ChrisReale
QUOTE(acox914 @ Dec 30 2003, 06:57 PM)
SOMEONE MAKE A FLOWMASTER FOR A /4. boldblue.gif

2 in 2 out please....just like the one B made for a six. welder.gif

Get a header, stoopid! smile.gif You live in So. Cal anyways, it never gets cold down there. I have one of Brads Flowmasters on my car, and it is HELLA loud at 5k rpm. You loose a bit of low end torque, and might gain a bit of upper rpm HP, but my butt dyno has not been synchro'd ever since I ate that mission style burrito at Taco's Can-Cun
Andyrew
You want to replace the muff without getting the wielder out. You lazy bum rolleyes.gif your doing a subaru engine swap... I'd like to see you get the pipes to the same location as the factory heat exhangers so you can get that to bolt on with the unique style, and tiny (let me say that again, TINY) pipes. Get yourself a 3in exhaust and run it out the back with a glasspack of your choice in it. Heck make a place so you can bolt off the muffler if you want (you'll have to do it anyways if you try to stay with the factory muff).

Monza is 4tip with chrome tips.

Andrew

wavey.gif
Aaron Cox
Get a header, stoopid! smile.gif  

are you paying for it?

You live in So. Cal anyways, it never gets cold down there.  

my car live on the driveway.....heater is used to defrost windows in the COLD mornings...
Brad Roberts
Fiid,

Buy a Bursch. It will work well with the Turbo setup. I think I have a 1.7 Bursch (used) and HPH stocks them new.

B
rhodyguy
fidd, there is a brand new 1.7 header system for $50 @ thesamba, in t4 parts. the muffler bolts up to the header, better than the welded version. cheaper than a noise ticket and related hassle. i bet you can ebay it forwhat you paid. how does one provide for interior heat with the subaru engine.

kevin
Scott Carlberg
Bernie with the Green 914 has a FlowMaster muffler on his 914
Brad Roberts
He has a Flowmaster on a Bursch to be exact. Sounds pretty good.

B
McMark
Just cut open your current muffler and pack it full of stainless steel wool and then weld it up. laugh.gif

Oh yeah, you have a cherry bomb. That won't work. I have a Bursch you could buy. It'll take a bit of welding as well though. I have a good muffler, and a good pipe system and they need to be mated together.
fiid
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 31 2003, 07:30 AM)
fidd, there is a brand new 1.7 header system for $50 @ thesamba, in t4 parts. the muffler bolts up to the header, better than the welded version. cheaper than a noise ticket and related hassle. i bet you can ebay it forwhat you paid. how does one provide for interior heat with the subaru engine.

kevin

Interior heat? Yeah. Probably have to put a heater core in somewhere. I'm dreading that. The heat might be supplied by Old Navy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.